Should i?

My duaghters b-day is the day after Christmas would you make it a big deal and get her lots of stuff for both or just give her both sets on christmas or would you throw her a party after ward? she will be 1 this yr.

edgpag

Asked by edgpag at 4:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would throw her a party but not over spend on the gifts...at this age all they want are the wrapping the present came in....
    Anonymous

• Myself...I would make x-mas one day.....and 1st B-day another. That is because I want to make his 1st B-day special!!
    Although I know that would be very hard for us financially........I would prolly save somehow ...so I could make each..it's own special occasion.
    My BIL's b-day is in December...and it's tuff...but I know he mentioned that sometimes it really sucked cause they were so close together, so neither realy stood out as special. Especially his B-day. That would be another reason I would try to make them seperate. It's gonna be tough for the child to *share* their b-day with such a large event as x-mas.

jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 4:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I want to do it that way i was think of doing her b-day in jan. but your right it will b hard she isn't my only child i have a 2yr old and i will have another little girl around that time. she is due jan 20. i'm just worried that i wont be able to afford it.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 4:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• my bday is right by christmas. It always meant a lot to me that my mom kept my bday seperate from the holidays. i had my own party, the same amount of Christmas presents as my sister, and they never ever combined gifts unless I said to bc what I wanted was too $$ for just one event.
    however, until she's old enough to know it, there isn't a big emphasis on it. if you want to, and can have a seperate event this year without causing hardship (financially or otherwise) then go for it. if you can't, I don't think she'll hate you for it - yet ;-)
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My sons birthday is on new years a week after christmas. I never made a big birthday party but I always had close family a cake and presents so he knows that we value his birthday and doesn't feel forgotten.
    persuasion91297

Answer by persuasion91297 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Just to let you know your a mother and you'll figure it out. I too have another son who's birthday is feb6 and my daughter is due jan30th.
    persuasion91297

Answer by persuasion91297 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My birthday is Christmas day and my mother's is Christmas eve. I always got my x-mas presents on christmas or christmas eve whenever we would do it, and I also got a couple birthday presents on christmas. My mother's was the same way. After I got a little older my mom let me pick a day to have my party on, usually it was around march. I think it's a good idea to throw a birthday party on a day not so close to christmas so that people will come and you can have money to spend on it and you don't have to worry about 2 things at x-mas time.
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 5:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• The birthday away from Christmas Day is a good idea ... mostly I want to bring up that until your daughter is 3 or 4, any birthday party is for the adults around her, not for her - she won't know what it's all about. When she's 4 or 5, then you can create a celebration about your joy that she was born, that she is growing older, etc. A nice guideline, once she is 5 and maybe having children come to a party, is to have as many children as she is years old. I enjoyed the Waldorf tradition of having the number of candles (larger ones) ready to light, and telling the story of what happened each year: Once upon a time, a man and a lady lived in a ... and had a beautiful baby girl. She had blue eyes and loved her fluffy teddy bear. She (did this'n'that, had a grandma, they moved to a new town) ... and then she was one! (And you light the first candle)...etc. for each year. Children LOVE listening to this! You end with a song.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2008