neworn vs 0-3months

srry the sizes confuse my new mommy to be mind.
are they the same size?
if not how long does newborn last (for a brestfeed baby since they do normally get chunkier :P)
how many newborn onsie i should get?
how many 0-3 onsies?

frankye

Asked by frankye at 3:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would only get a FEW newborn sizes...and depending on the baby, they might not even FIT into newborn. Keep ALL tags and receipts so you can return if you need to, but do get a few so if you have a little baby they have clothes that fit right away. My daughter was only in NB size for 1 month then went to 0-3. They are bigger, usually a bit longer, so on short babies NB fit right away. My son however was 8lbs 20inches and NB fit him for about a DAY LOL. He needed 0-3 right away and he was breastfeed. He got very fat right away too and went to a 3-6 FAST. But just keep tags and receipts so you can return things you buy if they are the incorrect size. And then you can just get the next size up! Congrats on the new baby, and good luck momma, I hope this helps!!
    EmmaNemma22

Answer by EmmaNemma22 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Both of my children were too big for the newborn size when they were born. It really just depends on the birth weight. Newborn clothing is usually only up to 8 lbs.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Each company makes sizes different. How much you need of each size depends on different factors; how much your baby weighs at birth, how often your change the baby's clothes, how fast the baby grows, if you have a washer & dryer, ect. I hate onsies and wouldn't get any. For newborns I like nightgowns, sleepers, and swaddle blankets. You can put the baby in a swaddle blanket with just a diaper. I get most or all clothes at yard sales. You can get nice, brand name things for $1 or less. You can buy a lot if you want and it doesn't matter because things are so cheap. I always liked having a lot of flannel receiving blankets. They can be used for a lot of things even after baby. Breastfed babies usually grow slower in the first 6 mo, not get chunkier.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My babies and grandson were too small for newborn and I was glad I had some premie clothes. They weren't that small 6#3oz -7#8oz. They wore the premie and then newborn clothes for 3 mo or so. My breastfed grandson is 2 yo and is still wearing 12 mo and 18 mo clothes. Not all babies outgrow clothes quick.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We didn't buy any newborn sized clothes and only bought 0-3 at the advice of others so we were very shocked when our full term baby came out and only fit in premie clothes! Bottom line is every baby is different and you won't know until your baby is here. Just buy a few of each until you know the weight of your baby when they're born. If you're wanting to buy lots of any size I would go with the 0-3 since the baby will eventually grow into them and once you take the tags off to wash smaller clothes you can't return them.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 4:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Newborn is smaller than 0-3 months, there should be a size chart on the tag or in the store. They are kind of arbitrary though. Some 0-3 months still fit my dd, and even by the size chart she should be out of them. Only get a few NB things, it's better to need more once baby comes if necessary than have a ton of clothes that never get worn.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Me and my mom fought ove that they ae diffrent sizes. My daughter was in newborn for 2 months but she was only 5lbs 10 oz when she came out keep evething just incase you need to take anything back.
    ops11210

Answer by ops11210 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• As others said ,they are different sizes. My dtr was born in winter and we did end up buying some newborn size sleepers since the 0-3 she swam in and that seemed to work better for keeping her warm and for us not having to fight with extra material. However, I really jsut had 2-3 to rotate through and stuck mostly to 0-3 they outgrow them SO FAST!
    muptgirl23

Answer by muptgirl23 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Newborn was big on my son on the way home from the hospital, fit by a week old and were too small by 2 weeks. Depending how often you plan to do laundry, I would just stock a few newborn size outfits. You don't need the onesies (unless it is VERY warm when the baby was born). The footed outfits are fine without them and after a couple weeks they can wear onesies in 0-3. Our son was born in August and still needed the long sleeve fitted stuff with feet when he was in newborn size.
    BUBaby

Answer by BUBaby at 7:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My 8 week old just grew out of her newborn clothes - and she's a breastfed baby. I'm so glad I had what seemed like a lot of them! Generally, newborn fits up to 10 lbs and 0-3 months clothes are designed for 8-12 lbs. My oldest was 8 lbs 9 oz and after he lost weight in the hospital (as most babies do), the 0-3 swallowed him whole. But I also like the baby gowns that are mostly one size fits all and I roll the sleeves up (I found it much easier especially for middle of the night diaper changes to just pull the gown up rather than dealing with snaps on sleepers!)

Answer by missanc at 9:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010