After the first day of school my 8 yr old daughter does not like her teacher!

Her class room rules are ridiculous, the kids have one pass a day to go to the restroom. If they need to go any other time other than recess or lunch they have to use the pass. Now if they need restroom again they can go but then they have to stay in for recess! It seems like a punishment to me and it makes my little one uncomfortable, when she needs to go she needs to go!

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 3:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• More than reasonable. Sounds like she doesn't like to follow the rules.
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 4:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree, she needs to give the situation a chance. I see absolutely nothing wrong with 5 chances to use the restroom (and actually a 6th chance if it is absolutely necessary) in what is more than likely a 7 hour period of time. Even if the school day was 8 hours. We're talking about an 8 year old child, not a 2 year old learning to potty train.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 4:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Elementary school - two recesses plus lunch? 3 opportunities to use the restroom, plus before and after school. School is about 7 hours? maybe 8? so before and after plus recess plus recess plus lunch ...5 opportunities to use the restroom in 7 to 8 hours.

Perfectly reasonable.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Sounds like it's time to tell daughter that the world doesn't revolve around her, that education isn't about "liking" the teacher, that there will be plenty of rules in life that she may not like, and that she will need to learn to adjust to many different situations in life.

This rule is perfectly reasonable. I'm sure that many students have abused restroom privileges in the past and that this rule is in place to minimize interruptions and disruptions that can negatively impact instruction time.

You're sending her to school to learn, right? You might want to stop impeding the learning process by sidetracking already on minor petty little complaints and encourage your daughter to succeed.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 5:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Tell her to give the teacher a chance. Remind her that it is hard for everyone in the beginning of school.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 4:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't see a problem here.
    findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 5:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'm with the majority. She has plenty of opportunities. And as you said, if she has "one of those days", she does have the ability to use the bathroom pass.

Wow - I just reread that. They get a "free" pass every day IN ADDITION to all of the other opportunities. It's only AFTER that, that there would be a consequence. Ok, now I'm REALLY with the majority! This rule is WAY BEYOND reasonable!!!
    jinxandjoy

Answer by jinxandjoy at 5:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• How many recesses do they have? they prob have a problem with kids abusing it and running to the bathroom al lthe time. I would tell my dd to go when she needs to go but that she only pees every couple hours at home so she should be fine with the bathroom breaks. May help put her at ease if you act like its ok.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Nothing to add except APPLAUSE for that teacher!
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 8:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't find this ridiculous at all. This is a perfectly reasonable rule, and an 8 year old is absolutely old enough to deal with this rule with no problem whatsoever.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 8:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010