Does the depo shot stop your period? adult content

ive had one period since ive been on the shot and that was in the begining. i just got the shot in july... when i got on the shot was still spotting from my miscarrage then i had a heavy period in august (not normal for me) and nothing in sept....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Health

• Supposedly 95% of women have lighter or no periods on the shot. Lucky me I was the 5% that did the opposite I had a heavy long period during the entire 3 month period. I became anemic and had to go to the ER for a head splitting migraine. If I were you I'd research a diifferent type of bc that didn't have so many side effects. Not having to remember to take the pill every day was the only plus for me and not worth it.
    ainstalshia

Answer by ainstalshia at 4:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It just screws up your cycle. I got the depo in Feb. Didn't have a period until April, skipped May, Had one in June and In July I bleed for a month straight. Went to weeks period free until the end of August and started again.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I've been on the Depo... forever :) I never have periods anymore. The only time I had a problem was when my daughter was born and they gave me the shot before they even released me. That time I bled for weeks on end. But other than that I have never had any issue at all.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 4:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I didn't really like the Depo Shot!! I didn't hv periods but I always had back aches nd broke out in acne due to the hormone changes. Weight gain was really bad, I felt pregnant. The IUD Mirena was the best choice it's not big doses of hormones. With the Mirena, I didn't get my period and it just worked out for me. It's for 5 years and you can remove it any time and really does work well.
    lasmilez

Answer by lasmilez at 4:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I got it in July and I haven't had a period since June. Everyone else I know in real life didn't have anything happen with their periods, though.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It CAN stop your periods, or it could not affect them at all, or it could just change them or it could give you an ongoing 3 month period like it does a friend of mine... It's different for everyone.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• yes it does for me it dosent for everyone though i switched from a iud wich was horrable and i had the shot before i got pregnant with my daughter 3 yrs ago i got pregnant after the iud and lose the baby :( but the depo is my best friend lol some birth controls work for some and some dont!
    cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 6:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010