When you're on a tight budget, what is the first to go?

What do you get rid of first to tighten those budget strings?

FatGirl239

Asked by FatGirl239 at 4:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• 1. Eating out
    2. Pedicures, golf, hobby stuff
    3. Gym membership
    4. Total revamp of all bills. Check your cable, phone, cell phone, auto insurance and shop around for the best rate
    5. Refinance Car to lower interest rate
    6. Grocery shopping specialty items
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 4:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Eating out and weekend getaways.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• non necessities. ie: cable, going out to eat, clothes, etc.

keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would usually say cable but my stupid cable company now has it now if you dowgrade or cancel before your 15 mo is up you have to pay $250 fee sooo it would be cheaper for me to keep the cable. So next in line is eating out. That goes.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 4:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I am on about as tight a budget as possible. The first to go was the cable - I've been without it for 5 years now. I was never big on tv anyway so I really don't miss it much. The next to go, if I ever had it, was fancy cell phone service. I've always had just a simple, basic phone with pay as you go. I only use it for emergencies, and not just to chat, so something else I don't miss. Between those two you're saving over $100 a month, probably more.

I also shop generics, even tho I am on food stamps. It is still helpful because I can stretch it to go further. My one 'luxury' that I haven't given up yet is my DSL service. If I cut it out to use dialup, no one would be able to get ahold of me as I'm always on the computer! Besides, cutting back on that would only save me another $15 a month.

If you're a smoker, that's a very expensive habit that can go, or at least cut back! Same with alcohol. Good luck!
    ahhmericanwoman

Answer by ahhmericanwoman at 4:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Cable, extras on the cell phones, name brand household itewms
    Pandapanda

Answer by Pandapanda at 4:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We eliminated the weekly gardener and saved $160 per month & Limit restaurants & takeout.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• cable, and monthly subscriiption games online ,
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 4:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We've stopped eating out and I clip coupons (if only I can remember to bring them with me to the store!)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• well i wanna say that if your on a budget then you kind of just are on one. we usually dont have to get rid of anything except for the house we couldnt afford anymore so we had to move but thats it and i think it was the best thing we did cause we never had to live on a budget after that again. i know i couldnt have some things i wanted back then when we were on a budget.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010