How do you tell people the age of your child?

My son is 13 months old, and that is usually how I tell people his age. Is that how you mommies do it or is there a few that say their child is 1 year 1 month...or just say a year old in a polite conversation to the grocery lady? lol

Stephernie88

Asked by Stephernie88 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'd say 13mos. My son is seven weeks old.. when he's eight weeks i'll say 8 weeks instead of "Two months"
    Pandapanda

Answer by Pandapanda at 4:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• @ 13 months, I say a little over a year.

I try to round up or down to the nearest whole year or milestone month. ie: almost 1 year or 2 years, just turned 6 months, will be a year in june, etc
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i always use the months. i have an almost 7 month old and a 2 year old. when my oldest hit 2 i started with the years
    AirForceWife412

Answer by AirForceWife412 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I usually say 13 months or a little over a year old.
    Stephernie88

Comment by Stephernie88 (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Anyway is appropriate......I usually hear mothers use months instead of years....
    SugaB

Answer by SugaB at 4:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I say it in terms of months-old (10 mo or 15 mo whatever it is) until they are about 18 mo. then after that I usually go with "nearly 2". It's just easier. I never did understand someone saying their child is "30 mo" or something of that nature. I mean really after a year old you can just say they are "one" or "one & a half". Nobody wants to stand there & try to figure out that 30 mo. means 2 1/2.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 4:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I said it by months up until about 18 months, after that I just said "almost 2" and now I just say 2. I had a guy make a comment once like "I hate when mother's go by months like I'm supposed to count how old he is myself" I just said it's not my fault you don't know simple math! I'm sure the whole months-age is a mom thing just like expecting mothers use weeks and not months in pregnancy but it's really not that hard to count...unless you're saying like your kid is 40 months old or something lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I use weeks up to about two months (5 weeks old). I use months from then up until age 1 (7 months). Then I say one year. Then months again up to age two (21 months, etc). Then I say two years old. From then on I round up or down from the half year mark. 2 1/2 years old, etc.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I guess I used months until he reached 18 - then I'd say 1-1/2 or he turns 2 in NOv - rather than making people count months to age -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I just have to add that I hate to ask, "How old is your baby?" and get the response, "32 months, 6 days and 13 hours."

Lol, not that they get that involved but JEEZ!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010