Failing economy

I'm confused....Bush's policies are being blamed for the failing economy. But...doesn't Congress pass the laws...and isn't the majority of Congress Democrats...and hasn't Bush been on TV several times asking them to get off their *** and do something? Somewhere along the line I must have gotten confused. Maybe the Democrats are waiting to do something until their guy gets elected. Probably because they can't "reach across the aisle" and get it done without him.
By the way, I just read an editorial that said the next Pres will be one-term because he won't be able to get it done either.
I love our system, but sometimes it stinks!

WD40

Asked by WD40 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• BRAVO!!!

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• oh please how the democrats have the majority in congress since the end of 2006. if you think the economy just started to fail you are in deep denial.
    Anonymous

• it's not the system, its the career politicians on both sides. they are either too stupid or too greedy or both to get anything done. that's why I prefer libertarians.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Everytime -lately- that congress trys to get something done the Bush wont let them b/c he doesnt agree with it. He has that power its called VETO. Educate yourself
    Anonymous

• He has that power its called VETO. Educate yourself

THANK YOU
    Anonymous

• if the president is SIGNIFICANTLY outnumbered on a matter he cannot veto anything.

If the Congress overrides the president's veto by a two-thirds majority in each house, it becomes law without the President's signature. Otherwise, the bill fails to become law unless it is presented to the President again and he chooses to sign it.

EDUCATE YOURSELVES ANONS!!! LOL

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I feel sorry for president bush...a lot of uneducated people who think that the president controls EVERYTHING that goes on in this nation blame him for EVERYTHING!! Sure...he may have made a mistake or two but I would LOVE to see any regular civilian who judges him do better than he has. It's pathetic how ignorantly and quickly people rush to find a scapegoat for their problems.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• You have to remember that the subprime mortgage crisis was initiated well before this Congress took action, which is a huge component of this economic decline. That being said, the reason that we have checks and balances in our government is so that we can attempt to limit the power that one entity gets. Therefore, its not right to blame congress nor is it right to blame President Bush.
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 5:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• The sub prime mortgages were initiated long before this sitting congress. Also, Bush pushed very hard on de-regulation.  He probably thought he was doing good by the American people, helping them to get the credit (mortgages) they needed to achieve the American "Dream".  He was at fault but not totally.  Pre 2006 Congress was at fault as well.  So were the Americans who choose to live beyond their means.  I'm sure there are more names to be named - greedy CEO's, greedy oil stock holders, greedy corporations.  Nobody is blameless.  Do your reseach, the Democrats are not the problem.  Greed is the problem.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Thats why we need to fill our Congress and offices with people for once that are not born and breed, blood thirsty, money hungry politicians. **sigh** we need to put some school teachers, farmers, everyday people into the offices. Ones that know the struggle of the everyday life. Now everyone thats in there get up every morning in thier self- owned nice homes, put on expensive clothes, get into thier mercedes, and go to thier mucky muck jobs and DO NOTHING! Also...word to the wise- in the future I hope that our American population can humble themselves down a bit. My family is about a $42,000 a year family- I would NEVER, NEVER purchased a $250,000 home...**sigh**
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 6:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2008