For those of you that are NOT religious, and are married, what does your wedding ring mean to you?

Does it really mean anything? Or is it just like any other inanimate object?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• I am somewhat religious BUT I have been married to my husband for 10 years in which neither one of us have ever worn a wedding ring. We both think it is just another object that means nothing...just like the piece of paper we have called our marriage license, it's just a piece of paper...it is the relationship and the love, trust and faithfulness you have for each other that makes the marriage not a piece of paper or rings.
    MamaCortney

Answer by MamaCortney at 4:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I never really thought of the wedding ring as being religious. It is more a sign of comittment and shows others that I am married.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I am not religious by any stretch of the imagination and my rings mean to me that I have made a lifelong commitment to my husband and is the sign of our love and fidelity. Just because someone isn't religious doesn't mean that marriage and rings mean nothing to us. It just means we don't need a church to approve of the relationship we've formed.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 4:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Marriage to me is NOT a religious thing... Although I am not an Atheist... So I'm going to answer anyways...

My ring is simply a symbol of my status as a married woman. That's it. Nothing special. Honestly, my SO loves his ring, he has never not wanted to wear it, but if he ever decided he didn't want to or if he lost it, it wouldn't bother me. We know we are married, that's really all that matters.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We're not religious, and my Wedding ring represents the commitment to my Hubby. It has 3 diamonds, which my Hubby say's he chose because it was the past, present and future, the past brought us together, because without things going the way they did , we wouldn't have met, and our present, because we live every moment to the fullest, and the future, which we are working towards a long loving life together...
    Okay now can you please tell me what a ring has to do with religion???
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I am somewhat religious though not a christian. The ring is a symbol of your promises to each other. It is also a symbol to the rest of society that you are a taken person so they Should back off. It is a daily reminder of the love you share and that special moment in time when you made whatever vows you did to your spouse. The ring has been used as a symbol in many cultures for many things including political office and priesthoods. The "western" religions actually started the practice by copying the Romans. (sorry - I am a fan of history)
    But for me everytime I touch my ring I have to smile, because it reminds me how much I am loved and what a lucky person I am.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 4:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i dont see what religious significance a wedding ring has for ANYONE. period. to me it is a ring.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 4:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I am not religious, my wedding ring represents our committment to eachother. Even my husband has never taken his off in the 7 years we've been married. I don't believe a wedding ring has any religious meaning behind it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My wedding rings.. They are pretty, nice and a gift from the heart from my husband.

My MangalSutra on the otherhand.. That is my spirtual piece of wedding jewlery. It is auspicious, it represents my union, it is the thread that binds us. My mangalsutra represents the inseperable bond between my husband and myself. The 3 knots that were tied on the day of my wedding, represent the 3 different aspects of a married woman: 1st knot loyalty to my husband (for really really old school views, that would be "obediance".. lol) , the 2nd knot is respect for my parents and myself as a parent, the 3rd knot represents my respect and relationship with God.

There are 5 symbols, in my culture and the religion in which I was raised, of a married woman. They are: Toe Rings, Kumkum ( the Sindoor or vermillion that is placed on the the hairline/hair part) , bangles and and a nose ring. Plus of course the mangalsutra itself.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Well I say NOT religious because sappy answers about god or whatever just simply aren't applicable to me.

DH said something rude to me the other day, and I was mad so I took my rings off and threw them at him. I found the wedding band, but haven't been able to find the engagement ring (I'm not sure if he or DD picked it up or if it's still actually lost). He's said many times something about how he doesn't care if I wear them or not (not related to arguments, but just in general). I've gotten so used to wearing the rings it's kind of awkward not to have them. If it really has no meaning to him, maybe I should just sell them. I'm sure we could use $20 for something else (we paid under $200 for both of them 10 years ago, I can't imagine they're worth much of anything at this point).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010