OMG our female puppy who is 8 months old has started her period. How do you keep your dog from bleeding all over the place?

hope5765

Asked by hope5765 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Pets

• Have her fixed!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My mom has 3 female dogs, we always had dogs from puppies and they were always female... This is the first time I've ever heard of a dog having a period... I would call the vet!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• they have doggy diapers you can get or when she is in heat you can train her to lay on her bed only. most dogs are fairly clean when in heat. my lab is5 years now and we never had a problem she keeps herslef clean so not many messes here.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'm a huge furbie lover, and have never heard of a dog having a period. They get in heat, but never heard of a period. Take her to the vet and get her checked out.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 4:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• you could have her outside most of the day, other then that, when my female dog bleeds, i make sure she doesnt go into bedrooms by closing the doors as for furniture, well...i guess you could throw a cover or plastic on them for a couple weeks.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• being in heat and having a period is the same thing but dogs dont have periods just are in heat lol
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Does this last long? I know it isn't really a period, but for lack of a better word that is what I used.
    hope5765

Comment by hope5765 (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Please get her fixed ASAP....and just an added piece of info>>>>>she can still get pregnant for a while AFTER she stops bleeding. Call you vet now and make an appontment to get her spayed. In the mean time there are doggie diapers that you can get. Then you can put a pad or cloth in the diaper to absorb the blood. You just have to take it off when you let her out to go to the bathroom and change it often.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• btw no need to take her to the vet and have her checked out when she has her so called "period" as you called it it means she is in heat or in season. keep a close eye on her you dont want an unexepected breeding because this is the time when she will wonder and look to get a mate.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i think its just for 3 or 3 weeks
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010