what is the punishment..

in your house for cursing?

Mine is 1 tsp on lemon juice in the mouth but my SIL seems to think that she should smack her children in the mouth and my friend doesn't even care that her kids curse like sailors. What do you do?

wildwiccan83

Asked by wildwiccan83 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have a cuss can. Depending on which word is used, the charge is more or less. For example, use the "F" word (he hasn't....yet, at least not in my presence), it'll cost you $5. Use the "S" or "D" word, that'll cost you a $1, and so on.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 5:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We tend to ignore it. By not calling it out then the child doesn't get the attention they are hoping for by cursing and they usually drop the cursing.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• err nothing?
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 4:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• There isn't one.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• my kids LOVE lemon juice. Lol. So that wouldnt work here. I tell them that is not exceptable and count them (123 magic). At 3 they go to their room.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 4:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We ignore or remind the child that the bad word is not allowed. A repeat offense after a warning gets a time out. IMO smacking on the mouth is going overboard.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• MommaofH2 - I agree my SIL's answer for everything is a swat and my friend ignores everything and lets her kids run wild....opposit ends of the spectrum i guess
    wildwiccan83

Comment by wildwiccan83 (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• my son is only 15 months so nothing but I would probably just tell him to watch his mouth and if he kept doing it wash his mouth out with soap ( that's what my parents did)
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We don't do anything, although my kids don't curse like sailors either. :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Punishment for cussing in my house? Well, we don't have one because my kids know that its not tolerated in my home.....every kid pushes the limit but they only have one chance to push the limit and they know what the consequences are so they prefer to watch thier language and be respectful young men and women...I couldn't ignore a child cursing because if they do it at home, they'll do it anywhere and its not tolerated anywhere so why should I ignore it or allow it?
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010