Can ADHD or ADD be diagnosed in a almost 4 yr. old

I think my son has it but dont know if I am paranoid or not. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong but than thought about my 6 yr and know he is well behaved so it cant just be my parenting right. I have tryed everything. I use positive discipline and have always been successful. He does things that are unsafe so I have to watch like a hawk. I dont know what to do and am scared they will want to put him on some narcotic. Any advise.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In my opinion, maybe wait a little while. Kids are so different from each other. Boys especially are so energetic. My husband jumped off roofs, ran around like a chicken with his head cut off, and was a terror, according to my MIL. My brother also jumped off dressers with a sheet for a parachute, dangled from windows from a second floor, etc. I think people are so quick to diagnose ADD. Partly I think it's because parents are more tired than they used to be because they both work and are so busy. I know people that have their kids on ritalyn (no clue how to spell) it so they'll be chilled, but they're just regular kids. Just my opinion, you know your kid best!
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 4:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• It was obvious that my son had ADHD at 3 yrs old, however, we waited it out until Kindergarten for the actual diagnosis. Every single day at school, he received notes that he couldn't sit still and focus on his work. He is now 14 yrs old and has been on medication and it's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. He is a radically different sane person when he takes his meds. He is a D/F student without meds and an A/B student on them. Every child has different levels of ADHD. My son is about an 8 on a scale of 10..Good luck. You can probably start talking about it with your doctor for a specialist.
    PassiveCashGal

Answer by PassiveCashGal at 4:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i thought the same thing about my son, i took him to the dr and a psychiatrist and they are going to do the test but dont think its adhdbut to see about getting behavior therapy. somethings im doing in the mean time til we get a handle on this is camomil tea only about 2 oz after school and then got some bath oil for stress releif my dr oked it and it has helped calm him down a bit. dont rush for a diagnosis instead ask for behaivor therapy
    good luck
    Anonymous

• I just read a good article in Parents magazine, this months issue, November 2008. They said sometimes....you might want to check it out.
    Pandagirlwis

Answer by Pandagirlwis at 8:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2008