Baby jerking head back

My 5 month old just started jerking his head backward a lot. I googled it, but I can only find info on babies shaking their heads from side to side. He is throwing his head back, and not while eating. Anyone know anything about this?

AliMom714

Asked by AliMom714 at 4:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did that a bit when he learn he had the ability to do so. Freaked me out until I talked to my MIL and she said it's just another things he has to test and lose interest in.
    I was so happy when he stopped until the next test was a battle cry every 5 minutes.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 4:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Does he do it randomly? My son has always done this, even as a newborn, right before, or while throwing a fit or whining. He's 2 and still does. It's kind of funny to watch sometimes lol. I don't think he's ever done it just out of nowhere though.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Maybe he's discovered that he can do that, and is testing it out!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I hear ya - my son did it for a few weeks. At some points, he would do it in his high chair. And if I should any signs of anger or dare used the word NO, he would do it even more. Little devil - I do love him dearly though!
    dubes

Answer by dubes at 4:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would keep an eye on him. Not to scare you but my sisters son does that but he does it alot. While watching tv sitting around playing or just when ever. The thing with him tho is he has a rare blood type that causes strokes and seizures. If he does it alot then i would just ask his doctor.
    ops11210

Answer by ops11210 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Ask your doctor if you're really concerned, but like most said, once they discover they can do something, they go to town with it.
    Moonluv727

Answer by Moonluv727 at 6:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010