As a restauranteur I want Michelle Obama out of my business. Do you?

Monday, Mrs. Obama pleaded with restaurants small and large to take a little butter or cream out of their dishes, use low fat milk and provide apple slices or carrots as a default side dish on the kids' menu.

What the Fk? I have healthy options on my menu. Guess what? When people go out to eat, they routinely choose the guilty pleasures. 3 to 1. Children's menu, too. We constantly hear from our customers, "When I go out to eat, I want to be treated". So get off our backs Michelle Obama. Look at the sales of most restaurants. The proof is in the sales. Does she want us out of business for catering to customer demands?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We have created a whole population by telling parents they should let schools feed their children. Progressives have convinced these people that they can't cook well enough and to send your child to school and we will feed them breakfast and lunch. Now, these families that usually buy into this drivel get free/reduced lunches which means they are on food stamps (teacher I explain how to fill out the forms for the parents). They go to the store and buy junk food (typically) and eat at McDonald's because poor people should be able to eat out too. Ok, yes they should be about to eat out. There are many moms who are too sorry to fix a simple breakfast and pack a sandwich, but the junk food that food stamps buy - no. Food stamps should be restricted to a list of healthy food and teach these people how to cook that depend on fast food for every nightly meal. Then, go to a rest. and be bad for a night.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Good grief! I cook healthy at home. I am like your customers OP, when I go out I am wanting a treat. I use skim milk in my pasta sauce at home. Ditto for the apples for the kids. Apples are snacks at our house..not a side dish.

I think the govt should look to what they put in their own mouths....not what I put in mine.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Folks will learn to control themselves and use moderation if they choose to do so.I think resturant owners already know what sells and what doesn't and they are in the business to profit..not to be folks nutrition nazi's..

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• .I guess Michelle would have some believeing they aren't offered

It seems that way.... People need to be responsible for their OWN choices... Heaven forbid personal responsibility apply while one is dining 'out' with their family.  If people were personally responsible for what they put in their bodies, there wouldn't be a demand for large portions of cream sauce, meat, and cheese.....   Supply and Demand....  Business 101 Ms Obama..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I commend her for trying to do something about the obesity epidemic.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• She's not forcing you to do it, so what does it matter? I think its important that people at least consider offering healthy options. I could understand complaint if she were moving to pass something saying that restaurants had to have certain foods or whatever, but she's entitled to her opinion and to put it out there for people to consider.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Michelle Obama is full of sh*t... There are healthy options out there. People need to make the choice ON THEIR OWN to choose the healthy option..It isn't up to the restaurant to restrict it's entire menu. It's up to the INDIVIDUAL consumer to DECIDE to make better, MORE RESPONSIBLE CHOICES.. Not the responsibility of the FLOTUS to expect restaurants to drop what works and makes them money for what may lose revenue/business.. Restaurant menu's reflects what SELLS.... If 'healthy' was an overall profit generating machine, there would be more choices... Not too mention, I can walk into ANY 'sit-down' restaurant and find a healthy option. The healthy choices are out there...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I suspect I'll be called a socialist for invoking France, but butter, cheese and cream are a big part of the diet there, however obesity isn't such an issue because portion sizes are more reasonable there and people walk a lot more

Hrmmm, so if one were to be PERSONALLY responsible enough to box up 3/4 of their OWN ordered meal or only order 1/2 a portion size, then go for a walk on their OWN, maybe the US wouldn't have an issue??? P E R S O N A L   R E S P O N S I B I L I T Y, it's an amazing thing!!!  ;o) 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• There are way too many FAT families in the USA.

There are too many FAT families in the USA because they lack personal responsibility. They lack the ability to make the RIGHT choices for their family and themselves..... Not because of the restaurant.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Personally I wish restaurants would serve MUCH smaller portions at smaller prices. I don't need a full pound of pasta for dinner or a 16 oz steak and I certainly don't need to pay for all that food that either a) won't reheat well or b) is high calorie and I shouldn't be eating as leftovers for 3-4 meals.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 5:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010