I need toddler help, please

My son is a lil over 2 yrs old and when i tell him to do or not to do something its like talking to a door knob. he'll either tell me no or just not even aknowledge me at all. Now i know he can here because if you say cookies he turns right around. So is this just a phase or an issue. Please help me

edwardsmomma08

Asked by edwardsmomma08 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you will need to consistantly discipline him when he ignores you. personally, I like to stick a nose in a corner. it sucks.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• it's a phase you have to remember he's in the in between (he's no longer a baby but not quite the age of a preschooler) my son does the same thing, it's hard to teach them no and for them to understand it. this article might help
    http://www.teensadvisor.com/teen-pregnancy/terrible-twos.html
    also google terrible 2's to find more info.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 4:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• It is a phase and it's one you work through by remaining consistent. Remember, children this age lack the developmental skills to control impulse. Just because he hears you say no, doesn't mean he can control the impulse not to ignore you and do what he wants anyway. Let's say you're telling him not to touch a picture frame. For a 2 year old you say "No. No touching. Leave the frame alone." and then you physically remove him from the frame and redirect his attention to something else. Two year olds *hear* the word "no" a lot. :) It's totally understandable that they like to assert themselves by turning around and using it. Your job now is to call his attention and then redirect - physically touch and redirect if you need to. Get eye level.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 4:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I am taking a parenting class because my son does the same thing. The word used most in the class is consistancy. My son likes to climb on my couch and then jump right on the edge. My parenting teacher told me that as much time and energy its going to take to just keep taking him off the couch and put into time out your hard work will pay off. Dont let them get away with it even once. It was such a pattern with my son atleast 20 times a day he would get out of time out and go right back at it. We are still dealing with it, but the number of times has gone down to maybe 2. Good luck.. Those toddlers will give you a run for your money let me tell ya. Were all in the same boat. <<<(that always feels like its sinking) haha :0)
    BrensMomma

Answer by BrensMomma at 6:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My daughter is two also and she does the same thing she rolls her eyes and acts like I'm not there. I tell her what i want her to do or not do and if she doesn't listen I tell her to go to her room for a while till she is ready to listen she cries on the way there but before I get to the end of the hall she is done and comes right out and does what I asked her to. Good luck
    Amanda_87

Answer by Amanda_87 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• my sons almost 18 months old and timeouts don't seem to work for me at least not yet, he doesn't like them he cries the whole minute but he'll go right back to doing it. Sometimes if I mention timeout he'll stop but not consistenly. Maybe I should take a class brensmom were did you find that class?
    christian0425

Answer by christian0425 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I think many parents feel overwhelmed with toddler bad behaviors that they feel they are losing. Fact is you must discipline constantly and not make room for bending at any time for any reasons. While it might be exhausting at first, the pay off is better you end up with a toddler knowing you will take action on warning rather than going the next two years battling with them. I use the 1 2 3 warning, if it does not stop after three I take action as needed it depends on the situation. If she is doing something damaging I take it away or remove her from the situation, if she does it again I put her in her room *yes baby gate goes up* and clear out the room if needed so she cannot harm herself. The 1 2 3 works most of the time then there are times she will just go ahead and tempt me but gets mad immediately when disciplined which is kind of funny cuz she knew it was going to happen but she is good for the most part lol
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 6:27 AM on Oct. 17, 2008