Shedding Dog

I have a german shepherd / husky mix who sheds terribly. Any suggestions on how to get the shedding down to a minimum... it would save the life of my vacuum cleaner!

PprmntMochaMama

Asked by PprmntMochaMama at 4:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Pets

• hair brush
    CarolineDezon

Answer by CarolineDezon at 4:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Get a de-shedder comb, they have them at wal mart, and use it at least 3 times a week. It will work wonders!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I used to be a groomer , before kids. The best thing for dog with that kind of coat is a forced air dryer (very powerful hair dryer) it blows hard enough to blow out all of the loose coat-but it is not practical for everyone to do themselves. The other great thing is the "furminator" brush. They are very expensive but I got mine on amazon for about $20 instead of $50 at the pet store. It gets ALL of the undercoat out. You also have to remember that they are going to shed the worst in fall and spring when their coats are changing. Brush them for a few minutes everyday and it keeps the hair loss down. I have 4 dogs and 2 cats and I try to brush them all at least every other day, so I can keep the shedding to a minimum.

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• THe furminator brush will make a huge differance.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Now we live in the south - there aren't really any seasons... will his coat still shed terribly during the fall and summer even though he doesn't get a summer or winter coat.
    PprmntMochaMama

Comment by PprmntMochaMama (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Brushing them out. My dogs also love the lint roller. They will lay there for hours letting us lint roll 'em.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 5:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have a German shepherd / Siberian husky mix. We live in the south. I do notice that the shedding isn't as bad when it's cooler out, although she does still shed in the "winter". there is a for sure coat blowing time come spring. I agree with the furminator. It's the best thing I've found that works. And I brush every day, otherwise our house would be covered in fur.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 7:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• theres a brush u can get
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I just got the Furminator on ebay for $6.95 for the large + s/h! I love it!!! I got it for a steal!!!
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 10:18 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Brush your dog outside lots!
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2010