What would you do if a kid kept picking on yours?

Here's the story every since school started this boy has been hitting my son and my son thinks he's playing and playfully hits him back but he got caught and got in trouble, the other boy didn't! I told my son not to hit him at all just tell the teacher so he doesn't get in trouble, since then my son has done that. The same boy has hit him 3x since then 1 time in the back of the head with a wooden block. but the boy still doesn't get in trouble! I've talked to his mom and she believes her kid can do no wrong! I thought about taken it up with the principal because all the teachers keep telling me that the boy is only punished by having his light changed off of green! This boy has hit other kids besides my son ( almost broke 1 boys glasses) and everyone is making excuses for him! Any advice?

mom2eas

Asked by mom2eas at 4:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have always told my kids it's better to stand up for themselves and get in some trouble than it is to be seen as a door mat... If this teacher doesn't want to do anything then your son should take action, regardless of whether or not he's gonna get in trouble... And frankly, I think I would be in their standing up for my kid as well... If the teacher doesn't want to do anything then she is a part of the issue as well as the kid is and I would make sure something changed!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'd go to the school and threaten a law suit over assult/harrasment. I'm not one of those mother's whose always ready to sue for every little thing but when it comes to the welfare of my child I'd push as hard as I could. I'd hope that just the thought of it would make the school do something. If not, I honestly would talk to a lawyer just to see what my options are.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Talk to the principal and get to the bottom of this. Someone is wrong and at this point it could be anyone.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Talk to people at school, but most importantly talk to my child. Let them know that it is not them with the problem, the other child. Tell your child to avoid this kid and try to not be scared because they did nothing to this kid to make them mad at you.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 4:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would talk to the teacher and let her know that your son is being bullied and you will not stand for it! I would teach my child to speak up in a loud voice and say "Do NOT hit me!" each time it happens. This child already has a 'rep' for hitting and letting him get away with it teaches him it is ok to bully as he gets no consequences. I would ask that this child be kept away from my child, and if my child is hit again I will take action. Next step would be talk to the principal and request my child be moved to another room away from this child. If the mom has a 'my sweet lil darlin angel can do no wrong' attitude then I would not even bother talking to her, as she won't listen and won't do anything.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• depends on the age of the kids. Id tell my kid you may not start a fight but you sure can end one. If you choose to hit him back it better be hard enough to stop him from doing it again. My son had a kid that was bugging him... started in Kinder.. but then they were not in the same class for a couple years. In 3rd or 4th grade he was in his class again and it started up. We told our son he may NOT start a fight... but he is welcome to end it. The kid bugged him until spring... one spring day the little brat kicked my son. Only took one punch to lay the kid out. He NEVER bugged my son again. Yes, my son got lunch suspension for a week... but he did not get in to trouble with us. The other boy got actual suspension... because guess what... my son wasnt the only kid he was being a jerk to... it is just that my son was the only one with balls enough to lay the kid out.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• You need to go to the principal and tell them that this situation needs to be taken care! Then I would also let them know if it continues I would be going to the school board and discussing this bullying matter with them. Normally a threat like that will get the principal on their toes, and they will start to act on the situation. If not go to the school board and they will do something about it. (I would keep a log of everything from the first day until you go down there so you can show them everything, even when you spoke with teachers and the principals).
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 4:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My hiney would be AT THE SCHOOL ALL DAY. PERIOD. fine if they cannot keep the children seperated to protect the child. then i will sit in the class, recess, lunch room til they figure it out
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 4:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i would be making phone calls and going to the school whenever i can and be a little tattle taler and even giving this kid an evil glance and tell him im fixing to put him in jail lol.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i i have went through a similair issue with my son, and it was a teachers son and she also believed that he did no wrong. it started out with boys just being boys. until my son come home and told me that he was slapping him in the face because he did not want him to be friends with his best buddy. i was in tears knowing that my son had to deal with this. my son finally stood up to him and now they r all pretty good friends. they still tend to get rough sometimes but he now knows that he can be put in his place. i know as a mom it sometimes hurts us as much as it hurts them.
    hollieshobbie

Answer by hollieshobbie at 10:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010