Non-english speaking baby sitter?

My husband works with spanish speaking men, and their wives are there as well (they rent the house on the property being worked on). They are very nice ladies, but don't speak a word of english. Through their husbands translating (the little that they can), they have communicated with my husband that they will watch our five month old daughter (while I work for 3 hrs per day). I have decided, that this is something we should try. I do speak some spanish and their husbands can translate. I plan on giving a detailed instruction list (in spanish- I will translate online) about how she should be taken care of... My question to you is, is this something you have done or could do? Any tips?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 4:32 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• So many stupid answers..... If you feel comfortable with it, then it should be a really good thing. You said that your hubby will be on-site and available, so he can handle any emergencies. If you try it and don't like it, you can always find someone else later. I say, give it a shot. I would like the fact that my hubby was close by.
    I wouldn't worry too much about giving them an instruction list. Babies are babies in any language, and for 3 hours, there's not too much you need to tell them =) Maybe write down the time that she ate or slept last, and that's pretty much all they need from you. They will figure out the rest.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• no i couldnt do that, just because i dont speak spanish and i want to be able to communicate with who would be watching my baby. BUT if you do speak some spanish i think its a great idea! and it will probably help you learn more spanish :) Good luck
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• You need an actual interpreter. The translations online are NOT accurate. You also need to know if they have cultural differences in the way she will take care of your child. What she may believe is appropriate, you may not agree with. I would not want a sitter who I could not communicate with on a daily basis. What if something happens like an emergency and she can't even call you and tell you what has happened?

Anonymous

• not in a million years. here's why. what if something happened? what if the house was on fire? what if the baby was choking? this is a predominantly English speaking country, and if she needed emergency help, what sort of a delay would the language barrier cause? it probably wouldn't be a problem, but I would not feel good about the risk. it's not that I dont' think the women are totally competent caregivers, but I would have a real issue with communication problems.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My husband will be there. Thats the only reason this is okay with me... Thanks for the input guys :)
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 4:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• if your husband is there, why would you need to hire a babysitter? I'm confused.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I think you would be fine and having a spanish nanny watching your child can actually teach her another language.
    Anonymous

• My husband is there WORKING... not watching her. But he will be there if she has questions or needs something.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 4:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Me my self I speak spanish and I would have to get to know the people who will be watching my child. I wouldn't for now. You are only going to be gone for 3hrs. why don't you just stay home. Will it really be worth it. Wait alittle longer. Now if you need time away for yourself get to know the ladies and go from there soon you can make a regular deal.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I work full time, but usually am done about 3 hrs into it. I would never look for a sitter if I didn't need one... That wasn't at all my question... I dont need "time to myself' Did you even read the question? I do know them. There is only so much I can learn in a short period of time without speaking their language.

I would stay home if I could!!!!!!!!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 5:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2008