Tattoo question

Dh is out getting his first tattoo with his mom today. It's REALLY big on his shoulder blade (it's the ninja turtles lol). I got mine really small on my butt like 6 years ago... So refresh my memory please!! How do you take care of them at first?? My tattoo guy told me neosporin, but so many people said that was a huge no-no. I know I need to get some gauze because it's going to bleed, and he can't get it wet for like 3 days right?

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• A & D ointment, make sure to wash it in the shower with soap and water. That's what I've been told, I have 4
    Stephernie88

Answer by Stephernie88 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I couldn't wash it for at least a day, but he said it was fine to wash after that...you just can't have it out in the sun...no swimming for 2 weeks
    Stephernie88

• I used A & D ointment on mine. You can wash it, just keep it covered & use the ointment. Also, use sunscreen on it when outside or the colors will fade. (*Hint: Anything by the bone, like the shoulder blade is gonna HURT!)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Wash with antibacterial soap everyday. coat it with tattoo balm or vaseline. once it starts to heal (scab), use chapstick to keep it moist. It needs to air so don't put anything on it if you can. don't itch or pull off any of the scab.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i got 1 in june and they told me to wash it with antibacterial soap 3x ( don't use that bar of soap for anything else) a day and use bactricin on it til it healed (so it doesn't dry out) my cousin did the same thing and she has alot of tatts my sis said you can use vaseline LOTION instead of bactricin she did!
    mom2eas

Answer by mom2eas at 5:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Your artist took the care to cover up your new tattoo for a very good reason - to keep air-born bacteria from invading your wound. Yes, as pretty as your new tattoo is, it is still a wound. Open flesh is a breeding ground for bacteria and infection. Leave the bandage on for a minimum of two hours. Excitement of having a new tattoo will make you want to remove the bandage so you can show your friends, but your friends will just have to wait until later. If it's covered in saran wrap,it should be removed immediately. You're better off not having any covering than to be suffocating your new tattoo with plastic wrap.

After bandages are off, use lukewarm water and mild, liquid antibacterial or antimicrobial soap. Fragrance free lotion often or a&d ointment. Aquaphor is good too. Yes, you can (and should!) shower with a new tattoo. It's OK to get your tattoo wet - just don't soak it.
    winkypants

Answer by winkypants at 5:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have 4 tattoos myself...i was always told to wear lose fitting clothes till it heals, wash gently with antibacterial soap, dab dry (dont rub it dry) and keep cocoa butter lotion on it. also keep it out of the sun till it heals.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• A & D ointment, and wash it with soap and water when showering.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 5:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Keep it moist and covered with loose clothing

Congrats!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 5:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010