How long?

My daughter is 6 and my son is 9 and we are trying to decide how long to take something away from them.For example: Like if they get in trouble we'll say no playstation for a week something like that.

sweet_mamaof3

Asked by sweet_mamaof3 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I say it depends on the offense, but a week sounds reasonable. Instead of taking the video games, make it ALL electronics- like the computer, cell, I-pod, etc. Or mix it up and take away dessert- or move bedtime up by 15 min. increments. More importantly, dont forget to "catch 'em being good!" :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'm not a parent yet (pregnant), so I don't have experience but I do know one thing for sure just from hearing it so many times - the most important thing is CONSISTENCY. If you threaten your kids with taking away something for a week and then don't do it, they won't have much respect for you and won't think you're serious. They need to know what to expect when it comes to consequences for their actions. As far as how long to take things away, at 6 years of age 1 week seems to be a long time because they will most likely forget the offense 2 days later. Shorter term (but effective) consequences seem like a better idea. A 9 year old would better be able to understand long term consequences. That's just my 2 cents.
    JoyfulJuliana

Answer by JoyfulJuliana at 5:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think a week is too long. One to two days might work better and see how it goes. You can always add days but you don't want to take days off or the kids will come to expect it. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010