How do you know if you kids are eating right at school?

jshimmy

Asked by jshimmy at 5:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First of all, you dont let them eat the school lunch, then you pack them something healty. Here, they arn't allowed to trade, because of allergies, so kids dont trade. Tho dd sometimes will share with her friend if she sees she didnt bring a very big lunch(this one friend also is never bringing a very decent lunch so dd feels sorry for her)- anyhow I simply check out her lunch kit to see if she left anything in there, then I know what she ate or didnt. :)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 6:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Ultimately? You don't. You send good healthy nutritious lunches. They may eat them. They may trade them. They may throw them away. They may choose to play instead of eating. You just do the best you can, encourage them to do the right thing

This is why home nutrition is so very important. This is why good nutritious breakfasts and dinners are really necessary. If you're providing good healthy meals for breakfast and dinner, there's no need to be concerned.
    findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 5:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with findingharmony - you don't.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I add money to their online lunch accounts and check what they had the day before. They know what they are not allowed to eat, and the website lists each item specifically. They know, that I know, so they always choose healthy!! :)
    momof2sweetkids

Answer by momof2sweetkids at 5:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I pack their lunches most days. My youngest daughter is too picky to eat that crap they serve and my oldest only buys a few times a month. The lunch in the Kenosha, WI school district is pretty much a kid's cuisine. They have no alternatives or fresh items like a salad or fruit bar. What is on the menu is what they get.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son's charter school lunch is catered and I see exactly what he will be having, they make the lunch to order. My daughter is in public school, she eats the main entree,a salad with light dressing, and usually some type of fruit, especially if it is fresh fruit. She tries to do good, but somedays I know she will have dessert. The problem is the entree is usually crap, like cheese yum-yums. bread dough covered in butter, cheddar cheese, and another layer of bread dough covered in butter, then baked. You can actually squeeze the grease out of it.
    armywife101803

Answer by armywife101803 at 5:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i pack his lunch.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 5:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I pack her lunch every day.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I hope that they are. The schools are supposed to be serving healthy lunches, and they usually eat when they are hungry. I understand they arent always going to like something, i didnt. So I always provide a healthy snack for their snack time and feed them a healthy breakfast and have a healthy snack ready for them when they get home. I can tell the days they liked their lunch.
    TheBabyFactory4

Answer by TheBabyFactory4 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• findingharmony said it exactly
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 9:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2010