When do you let your kids walk to school alone?

jshimmy

Asked by jshimmy at 5:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I will start letting my 11 year old walk to the bus stop by herself next year when she starts middle school. She will be nearly 12 then.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I let my son start at 8. But he never walks to school completely alone. There's usually a parent along and 5 boys together.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Well, since our middle school is all the way across town (5 miles+), he won't be walking to or from. He'd never get there in time!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My sd's school is only a few blocks way from her mom's house with side walks and crossing guards. We told her how great that she is close enough to walk to school. This is her second year at the new school and Sd11 has yet to walk to school once. Her mom drives her everyday she is at that house. We wanted to enroll her in a Montessori school near our house and Dh & I discussed how we would certainly allow her to walk being as it is a safe route, close to the house, but knowing us we would walk with her just for the sake of exercise and family time.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 6:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Mine started last year. They were in 1st, 2nd and 4th grades and walked together except the days my oldest was late getting up. Then the younger 2 would walk together and she would walk on her own. The school was 1 1/2 blocks up and 1 1/2 or so blocks over from our house.
    We moved this summer and now they walk to and from the bus stop which is down the street.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2010