What would you do?

My 6 yr old daughter is friends with the neighbor girl but today she had a friend over and did not invite my daugter to play with them now my daughter is like mommy it's not fair she is my friend too and I just told her yes she is your friend but she is playing with someone else right now it's ok....and she is justing watching them like the someone stole her best friend what would you do in this situation?

sweet_mamaof3

Asked by sweet_mamaof3 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Explain to her that friends can have other friends and they don't always have to invite her to play. That is life. It is natural to feel jealous, so tell her you understand, but that she needs to learn to understand that she won't ALWAYS be included or invited by every single friend to every single play date.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Tell her to deal. Seriously.
    Explain to her that it's like sometimes you like to eat pizza and sometimes you like to eat meatloaf. Sometimes you like to play dolls and sometimes you like to ride a bike. And if she's a good friend, then she allows her friends to make choices too. Just like she can make the choice to invite a friend over to play on one day, and invite a different friend on a different day.
    findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 5:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Plenty of hugs. Get her interested in doing something with you maybe?........... a game, TV show, baking, coloring, etc. Even blowing bubbles. Maybe you could have a stash of some simple little things for whenever something like this happens. Also maybe she could have a different friend over sometime. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Occupy her with something else that you guys can do together. It's not healthy for her to just sit there and watch her friend play and her friend isn't going to appreciate being watched either. That's just life. Explain to her that sometimes she will invite different friends over too and neighbor friend won't be invited. But it's normal for her to be sad that she isn't included. I actually go through this with my own children when one has a friend over or is invited somewhere, but the other isn't. I just use it as an opportunity to give the whole "life isn't fair" speech and then we hang out together.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It's a part of life. I know when my son has a friend over, and then other friends want to come, it just becomes too much for me reasonably to put up with - they can get loud and obnoxious, so I generally just limit him to one friend at a time. Maybe it's the same scenario and no hurt feelings are intended. Just give her an extra squeeze, maybe offer to play something with her, invite a different friend over for her.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I like the way findingharmony explained it.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2010