I just got out of the mental hospital

Yes I did. For cutting and burning myself with drinking alcohol. I feel better but the urge is still so strong that i have to constantly stay busy to try not to think about it..I am going to out patient therapy. then i start aa. I am trying to make things better but it is hard when the things you are around are the triggers. (husband, children still living at home, son living on the street, etc.) I pray about it....I want this to go away but it just seems to be getting worst.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Wow-that was my life about 6 years ago-the only thing i can say is it does get easier-each day you resist the urge the easier it gets. I have not cut for over 5 years and that urge has gone away. Also what helped me was staying in the moment with family and work,been around people at home/work-hope this helps
    rec104

Answer by rec104 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• feel better

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If you are not on medication maybe you should consider it. Find someone you can talk to or somewhere you can go when the urge gets really bad. Please take care of yourself, you are important. Find a doctor who has experience dealing with the kind of pain you are experiencing. If your husband is not supportive, find someone who is. Sometimes people do not understand how powerful these urges can be, or how much pain you are having on the inside and that controlling it isn't that easy.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 5:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• it sounds like you need to find a psychiatrist and fast....these things are things that should be let go of....you have to take care of yourself. Medication may need to be taken if it's not already. Make sure the line of communication with your husband is open....and if that's not an option then i'd call a crisis hotline.GL xoxo
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 5:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• group hughugs and I have been where you are right now. stay determined, keep communication going and dont close yourself off.

BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 5:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Have you found God, i know sorry if you are not religious, neither was i when i tried to slice my wrist a few yrs ago while, i didnt want to live i wished i had a gun instead of a knife, my aunt took me to her Christan Church n i found God.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Good luck hon. Sounds like you have a full plate. Have you been evaluated for BPD? Hopefully you can get into a great intensive outpatient program. In the meantime check out dialectical behavioral resources, local support groups, etc.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have also been there a couple of time... It only works if you work it. I still burn but not as much and i know that was a big step for me to take. i have hope for you and keep going to out patient if that is doing good for you.. Love yourself and the process your going to have to go through to get well. believe in yourself...love yourself
    syida

Answer by syida at 5:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Sweetheart, if you EVER need someone to talk to about anything, when things get too stressful, or if you just don't want to feel alone for a few minutes, or anything else, you can send me a message anytime. I have to say that I admire you for getting help. A lot of us don't. Good luck honey.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with the poster who mentioned getting evaluated for BPD (borderline personality disorder). Even if that's not you, check out dialectical behavior therapy - there are free resources online. I stopped cutting for good more than 6 years ago in part due to dbt.
    kimberlyann_214

Answer by kimberlyann_214 at 8:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010