When should i start to introduce whole milk to make sure my child will not reject it at 1 years old?

i tried giving my son a tiny bit of ice cream b/c he is teething and i figured he would like the cold, but about 30 minutes later he threw it up. so a few days later i tried another tiny bit and he did the same thing. how do i know he isnt going to reject milk?

c0rpsman4life

Asked by c0rpsman4life at 5:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should start introducing it at 1 year old. No need to give to baby prior to 1 year. I don't know how old your son is, but ice cream has a heck of a lot of other things in it besides milk, that he may be sensitive to, so you don't know for sure if it was just the milk that caused the vomiting, or the excess sugar, etc.
    After 1 year of age, give him just a little bit of whole cow's milk. If he throws that up or otherwise seems sensitive to it, try soy milk instead.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It is probably the sugar more than the milk. You do not have to stop formula at 1 so keep giving it and give milk as you would juice. See if he likes it. It may be that he doesn't like whole milk but tolerates 2% (that's what my DD did).
    You also don't have to give milk. They can get the vitamins that they need from the food that they eat.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• He might not be able to drink milk. Might have to take him to a doctor and see if he has allergies to dairy products..ect..
    I started giving my baby milk when he was one, but we drink 2% not whole milk
    Brittney20

Answer by Brittney20 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Babies shouldn't have milk before 12 mo. They never need cow's milk, cow's milk is for baby cows. Formula is made from cow's milk to help infants that aren't human milk fed survive until they can survive on food alone. At that point they need no mammal milk (cow, goat, whatever). Most people in the world by the time they are 3 are lactose intollerant and can drink little milk without digestive problems.

Rejecting milk isn't a bad thing. Most kids have too much milk. Only 2 servings is recommended. Kefir is a good choice. It is a yogurt like drink with lots of probiotic that even people with lactose intollerance can usually drink. He may be able to eat cheese. My 3 kids have never had a glass of milk and they are adults.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son is 10 months old and he loves yogurt and cheese so i don't know if it was the milk or the sugar. So he doesn't need to just stop drinking formula all together?? ok b/c i was confused about that.
    c0rpsman4life

Comment by c0rpsman4life (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If he love yogurt and cheese it probably wasn't the milk. Ice cream has lots of stuff in it he might have reacted with.
    mandarellee

Answer by mandarellee at 6:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Throwing up may be a sign of an allergy or a lactose intolerance. Rejecting milk would be if he didn't like the taste. You can introduce dairy products after the baby is 6 months old, but if you are having that kind of reaction I would talk to your doctor.
    BUBaby

Answer by BUBaby at 7:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• he may be severely lactose intolerant so you could either give him soy milk or lactose free milk which is still milk but with the lactose removed. That what we had to do for my son when we switched him over until his body adapted. Also depending on his age, his body may not be ready to digest dairy yet which would be what caused him to throw up
    sparklebug86

Answer by sparklebug86 at 7:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Don't worry about it if he rejects it - as long as his diet is balanced. He can continue on formula as long as you want - it's just not necessary after the first year. We switched dd right at a year just because formula is so much more expensive. I gave her just a little bit of milk mixed in with the formula (milk based) just in case it upset her stomach, but she was fine. She did have custard not that long ago, and that made her throw up, even though she's fine with milk and eggs.
    kimberlyann_214

Answer by kimberlyann_214 at 8:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I started introducing my son to milk a couple weeks before he turned 1 and he did fine
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010