i would like to know what is the best way to keep headlice from getting on your kids head

foustjennifer

Asked by foustjennifer at 5:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oily hair. They can't get a good grip on oily hair. Other than that, just make sure that they don't share hats, combs, pillows with other children.

Lice are not a bad thing, just pesky. They aren't hard to get rid of if you notice them when they first infest but you have to keep on top of it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The surefire way? Shave them shiny bald. Otherwise, I have no idea. My son has very closely cropped hair - no guard on sides, #2 on top - so I'm hoping we avoid having to deal with lice :) GL to you!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I use this shampoo and conditioner I get from the beauty shop I go to called tea tree. I use it a couple times a week in between the regular shampooing and conditing I do daily when the kids have there bath. This seems to help for my children.
    boydsbearlover

Answer by boydsbearlover at 5:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Don't share hats or combs or lay their head down on the carpet or ground in the classroom. This is really hard in school since coats and hats sometimes become jumbled up together if young kids have coatrooms instead of lockers.

Lice seems to be getting harder to get rid of along with bed bugs.  We already have 4 incidence of  lice and school only started for us last Tuesday.  Two years ago half my daughter class got it, including my daughter who passed it onto her sister before we reliazed it.  It was a pain to deal with but we managed.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• a really good preventative measure is Tea Tree Oil. buy special shampoo that is made with TTO, OR buy a bottle of TTO and simply add a drop or 2 to the shampoo each time you wash your children's hair.
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 6:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Tea Tree oil is a natural pesitcide - it works! Use it the minute they start to itch... My boys have never gotten lice, but I lived with lice for a few years as a child - Rid didn't work, none of the medicines worked, until we got tea tree oil soap... and I havent had a bug since.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with angelgirl I add tea tree oil to both our shampoo and conditioner and any leave in conditioners that are used. Have never had a problem knock on wood.
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I worked with a lady at a daycare who told me once that she washed her hair once a week with Dog shampoo - the kind for fleas. She said it worked great for her and she never got lice, and gave her really shiny hair. LOL. I never tried it but that was her thing.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 7:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Washing their hair and their sheets/pillow case once a week.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:40 AM on Sep. 14, 2010