what would you do...please reply!

my mom just found out that my younger sister (16 yo) has been stealing checks and even one whole check book out of her office. there has been over $2000 spent. the police are involved and my mom is really torn as to what to do next.

would you press charges on your daughter? the police said that whoever did this is looking @ 3-7 years in prison. what is your take on the whole situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yes I would, don't play if you can't pay.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I would too, obviously she needs to learn some lessons. Press charges, then she can make a deal for less time or even probation. She needs to learn there are consequences. if not now, she will get worse until she does.
    smzuzu

Answer by smzuzu at 4:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• No..I would never press charges on my daughter over money. Of course she didn't do the right thing but prison wouldnt do her any good. I would try to talk to her about this and set up something for her to pay it back.

This girl is only 16 too - talk it through...don't get too mad but sort it out best you can. Thats what I would do.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• This isn't something that we can answer for you. But I will tell you this- My sister in law, who is 21 now, has never been taught right from wrong. People just dig her out of the situations shes in. I found out I was pregnant at 17, she was 19. She stole my husbands check book and wrote 2500 dollars worth of checks. She was never punished other than a slap on the hand and no one talking to her for a couple weeks. She is now 21 and has a kid of her own(that she conceived because I was pregnnat) and another on the way( she got pregnant again when her son was still in the NICU at the hospital.). I'm not saying your daughter will be like this, but letting them get away with things has to stop at some point. Maybe this is the point. Maybe you should make her get a job and not get any benefit from it till she pays you back?
    lnmauldin7

Answer by lnmauldin7 at 5:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Thats a tough question, It would tear my heart apart to turn in my daughter. I dont think the 16 yr old will go to prison. Since she is a minor and this may be her first offense. She may get probation and a slap on the wrist, which might be the best thing for her right now. Maybe some tough love with rock her world with reality....
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 5:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I think this is really a judgement call on ur mother's part. She was wrong & I don't think she'll go 2 prison & definitely needs 2 b taught a lesson & it would prob b handled thru a juvenile division.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2008