what would you do?....please reply

my mom just found out that my younger sister (16 yo) has been stealing checks and even one whole check book out of her office. there has been over $2000 spent. the police are involved and my mom is really torn as to what to do next.

would you press charges on your daughter? the police said that whoever did this is looking @ 3-7 years in prison. what is your take on the whole situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• 3-7 yrs as an adult not a juvenile. I would not press charges against my child unless this has been an ongoing issue. Then I would request she was sent somewhere to get therapy and a handle on her issues.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 4:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Yes, I would press charges. Her mama didn't teach her right from wrong before now...so it's time to learn the hard way.
    Anonymous

• Oh, no, you can't blame the parents. It's obviousyou don't have older kids. Just because a child does wrong doesn't mean that their parents didn't teach them differently. Does that mean you didn't do anything wrong as a child? If you did then does that make your mom/dad a bad parent? Crazy accusation to make!

Anonymous

• i wouldn't press charges, i mean i would out her on probation or sumthing but..3-7 years??? she will resent her family forever. and sometimes putting a child in a detention facility is not the answer,,considering the situation, if this is the first time shes ever done sumthin like this, and she's npt into drugs or anything then definately do not send her to a detention facility because then she will be doing drugs and be involoved with bad people...trust me when i was 13 i was sent into a detention center because of a custody battle and i was skipping school, i met all sorts of bad people and got involoved with the wrong crowd and ended up leaving worse then when i went in..fortunately i am a young mother and when i became pregnant i had a hard smack of reality and if it wasn't for my son i don't know what or who i would be today....
    xdeviouskittyxx

Answer by xdeviouskittyxx at 5:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i would make her work to pay every cent back and put severe restrictions on her freedom until then. also make her do community service of some sort...just like they would do if she were prosecuted. I would also make it clear that if she did not do what was asked I would go ahead and press charges and then the law would handle it. It would be a take it or leave it deal; no negotiations. And as someone else mentioned, counseling does not sound bad either. But it should be FAMILY counseling.  The lines of communication need to be open between them so the trust can be rebuilt and many times an unbiased party is a big help in this step.

Anonymous

• I wouldn't press charges no. She is a kid still and needs some help obviously. What did she spend the money on? I think I would sell everything she has, ipod's clothes, stereo cell phone whatever to recover some of the money. But the police and jail are not going to help her. Just keep her down that path if you ask me.
    Anonymous

• I would press charges myself. It would tear me up but I would press them because she has to learn there are consequences to her actions. She wont go to prison, she's too young. She might get probation and/or boot camp. It might teach her a valuable lesson she needs to learn.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 6:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I have pressed charges against my own child for stealing from us. He was 19 though. It was an ongoing fight. Drugs were involved.

He WAS raised right. He WAS taught right from wrong. He CHOSE to absndon all he'd been taught.
    Anonymous

• I would not press charges...I would say you are no longer trusted here though...You have to earn your trust....GET a job and pay it all back and strip all the previlges away for a while.  She would have to go to counseling.  

JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My son ran up his cell phone bill for about $800.00 I had to get a loan and pay it off. He was so sorry for it. Trust me. To this day he doesn't have a phone. Occassionaly I buy him minutes for a prepaid.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2008