How do you get smoke smell out of cloths...I am sad... :(

My step MIL is being VERY generous and giving me and my upcoming baby lots of gifts :) CUTE CUTE things!

She smokes...and KNOWS that it makes the cloths smell bad...so she tries to keep them away from smoke as best she can...but they still smell.

I am very sensitive to it....I have washed the baby cloths and let them soak in detergent and I still smell it.

What can I do...I want to let the baby wear these things, but not if they stink...help!!!!

By the way, I really dont wanna talk to her about it, b/c she is trying she knows its a problem...I dont wanna make her feel worse about it than she already does....She is the step MIL and sometimes feels alone and left out...know what I mean?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 5:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Throw a cup of distilled vinegar in with them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think it is tide that has the fabreeze added in it. I'd try that. Then wash them again with dreft.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 5:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• vinegar is what my mom uses to get the smell of disel fuel out of dad's clothes. I don't think that it discolors. Even if it did whats to loose if they reek now of smoke??
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I wondered about that...but worried that it would discolor the cloths... it wont???
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Tell her you don't need anymore baby things. What's the point if they all stink!
    diamondchic

Answer by diamondchic at 5:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i smoke and before i donated the clothing that my kidlets grew out of, i'd launder with detergent and vinegar and then use fabric softener. my non-smoking friends said there was no lingering smell, so it must have done the trick.
    CFMPprincess

Answer by CFMPprincess at 6:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with the soap that has fabreeze in it. Works like a charm!
    jdlane1901

Answer by jdlane1901 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I use white vinegar in the wash all of the time. It doesn't discolor anything. I think the red wine type would, that's why you want the white distilled.

It also makes an awesome fabric softener. We actually tested it in one load, Downy in another and you could not tell the difference.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i have no tips but i just wanted to say how sweet you are for trying to spare her feelings! my parents both smoke and when they used to wash my kids clothes after visits i'd just let them THEN rewash them at my smokefree home.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2010