Should you keep your toddler from having a nap?

I want my son to have a normal schedule. For a couple of days he was sleeping 9 to 5am...which was great compared to our 5am-2pm. Is it okay to keep them from napping? He is 23 months old now.

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Only you can really make the decision for your child. Kids need sleep but when they get it can vary. I have to be very careful about when I let my 3 yr old nap (and have been for a while) because otherwise, like others have said, he's up forever at night. Ideally, you'd like your child to nap since he's still fairly young. If you aim for an early nap, I'd let him nap. Otherwise, I'd try to skip it assuming you get him down at night fairly early so the total amount of sleep he gets is reasonable.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Never.. Kids need sleep, to deprive them in this fast paced world we live in is just asking for more behavior problems than what you want...
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 6:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• EVERY study EVER done points to the benefits of napping... Most recently the link behind childhood obesity and a LACK of napping was made. Naps are great, and necessary! Adjust your schedule accordingly to accommodate.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think it depends on the kids. some kids need it, Others (like mine) if they nap their up all night.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 5:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son is a little bit older than yours (2.5) and I try to keep him from napping. There are some days where we just can't avoid it. If he naps, I shoot for EARLY in the day (11:30 or 12 until 1:00). If he naps, we are up until midnight or later...totally uncool! That's my goal each day. I think you know your child best. Maybe try to keep him from napping a couple of days a week and see how it goes from there.
    ginger-mart

Answer by ginger-mart at 5:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My guy gave up his nap at 2.5. He is up till 11 or later if he does get some day sleep. I don't stop him from napping, per se, but I do make too much noise in the hall if he's slept more than about an hour, should he decide to sleep. Our former nap time is now independent play time for a couple hours.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• some kids need it and some do not...i try not to nap my 24 month old b/c if he naps then he won't go to sleep at a decent time...he does get a nap at his daycare b/c they have to nap them and he falls asleep for them but that night we pay
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i always nap my toddler but she is younger then yours so i dont know what it will be like in a a few months. but usually she is a morning napper. i love it because i rather go out after lunch. at her daycare they do afternoon naps with them and it doesn't seem to even make a differance at bedtime. again every child is different. you know what will work for you.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• A regular daily schedule helps too. Doing the same thing EVERYDAY..is the best for growing kids. That is why daycares can get 20 kids to all fall asleep in the same room together. I was amazed. I then ran my own daycare, and have had my kids take naps and rest everyday they are home form 1230/100-3/330pm... It makes a big difference in the pace of our day
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 6:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• *link between
    ObbyDobbie