Is anyone else tired of always being the "bad" parent?

I feel like I always get to be the "bad cop" when dealing with my 2 year old. Dad gets to comfort her and make her feel better after I discipline. Anyone else feel this guilt?

Asked by MichelleLPSchel at 11:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Same here!! im always the bad guy. so im use hearing "i want my daddy" from my 3 year old. but one of us has to be, just hate that its me most of the time!!!

Answer by coffeejunky at 11:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I have the same problem, I am tired of it, you know My daughter does not listen when her daddy is around, he does nothing to her, then I have to deal with her during the day, and I am the only one that disciplines her both of my kids always think I am the bad guy it really sucks, and I get tired of hearing that I am too hard on the kids!!!

Answer by mykidsmylife06 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Yes. The answer is to talk to your husband about it, and ask that he also share in the discipline...and that he sometimes steps aside and lets you be the comforting parent. In my house we fall into this pattern often, so we talk about it every few months. It can cause more than just problems with the kids, it can cause resentment towards each is best talked about often and openly.

Answer by templeghost at 11:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Yeah, I sometimes get tired of it, but not always. I live alone with her and her father does absolutely nothing to help out. Yet when I discipline her, she cries for him! It's soooo frustrating!!!

Answer by amoremio at 1:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• yeah but my hubby does sometiems discipline my son too. in which he runs to me. but mostly i'm the one doing the discipline...

Answer by rissa_mommyof2 at 1:39 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• you took the words right out of my mouth. my bf works 12 hours a day everyday. he drives 3 hours round trip for work. he works out for 2 hours everyday. he only gets 6 hours of sleep a day. when he is home or on days off hes always telling me i need to relax cause whatever Annalyse does she does cause shes a baby. shes 18 months old, she needs to learn right from wrong.

Answer by virgo_mom at 4:19 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I wouldn't waste time feeling guilty. If Dad isn't participating, you are the only one to do it. I would let Dad know it's time to share and give him the room to give it a try. Read a book or take a class together or watch Supernanny. Talk about disipline any time but right after he does it unless you have something nice to say. When Dad is corrected or criticized about how he disciplines, he'll give up and you'll be back to square one.

Answer by manna1qd at 1:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2008