my 3 month old is scheduled to have surgery next monday to have his extra digits on each hand removed. do you think he will be given general or local anesthesia? i will not know until 2 days before when the nurse from the hospital calls to give me the instructions for the surgery and where to report to at Miami Childrens Hospitals.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had surgery at that age and they did general..
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My daughter had surgery when she was 10 months old to have her extra digits on each hand removed. She was given general anesthesia. I cannot imagine that the surgery would be done any other way. Local?? Over my dead body, hon. I hope that all goes well for your little one :)
    CFMPprincess

Answer by CFMPprincess at 6:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'm pretty sure they would have to sedate him for such a procedure! I will keep you and your family in my thoughts!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I saw on tv that they do it with nothing. I wouldn't do the surgey at all unless I knew exactly what was going to happen. You can always wait. I worked with a girl that had extra toes. She didn't even have problems with shoes. Her parents didn't want to put her through having them removed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Why are you having them removed, besides so they can wear gloves? That just seems pretty special to me.
    JeanEMc

Answer by JeanEMc at 6:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• He will be out like a light with general and then numb up the hands really good!!!! I will pray for your little one. What is his name???
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• They will probaby put him out. Cuz can you really expect a 3mo old to stay still? Good luck mama.
    Nameismommy

Answer by Nameismommy at 6:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• ahhh poor little guy ... I would guess the anesthesia would depend on the complexity of the surgery ... www.childrenshospital.org/az/Site1073/mainpageS1073P0.html

Best of luck with the surgery.

bergencounty

Answer by bergencounty at 6:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• is your normal dr not doing the surgery? But I agree with the last post, it would depend on the complexity and severity.
    sparklebug86

Answer by sparklebug86 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If they have not done a full blood work up, then I would guess local only. General is hard on the liver and Kidneys. They should have told you when you got your consult about preliminary testing for general anesthesia tolerance. Like questions about family history and allergies and such. If they didn't do those things, it's more likely they are doing local only.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010