Did You Use A "Modern Resume" To Get Your Job?

I found at this website: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/career-center-for-job-seekers-powered-by-monster-com-FX010350405.aspx?CTT=97 a whole bunch of "modern" resume templates.

I'm scared to write anything beyond the "traditional" resume I learned in highschool and college, but that was about a decade ago.

What do you think of these styles of resumes? Would an employer think the applicant was a goofball for submitting one of these? Or unique and skillful?

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 6:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• It depends on the company that you are applying to. I have always used a traditional resume and personally prefer them when reviewing applicants for our accounting department. However, maybe if I were a marketing director (or some other creative type) my feelings would be different.
    laffin4fun

Answer by laffin4fun at 10:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I used a chronological resume when applying for my recent job. I chose that one b/c I wasn't particularly skilled in retail, but I had a laundry list of jobs and skills that were applicable. I find the chronological resume most effective in getting my experience and skills across to the employer. It lists in order past jobs and what your duties & responsibilities were. They easily pick out the talents they're looking for and know what was accomplished. They can also see how long you worked somewhere & time gaps in between. (The longest was 7 months while i was pregnant) everything else didn't have much of a time gap.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• flatlanderjenn

Comment by flatlanderjenn (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• yes
    kandie01

Answer by kandie01 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I used a traditional resume.
    Felixkitty

Answer by Felixkitty at 6:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• as long as you make it look clean and its easy to read you should be fine!!! you have to make sure the person looks at it.
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 7:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Hello! I do career and job search coaching (I never charge CafeMoms for my services), and would be happy to help you "modernize" your resume.

There are great tips and resources posted in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 10:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Still job hunting here, but not hunting aggressively, just trying to keep my eyes open to possibilities. I changed my resume to a 'modern resume' in which my education (college), relevant classes and and skills were above my work experience; my skills and schooling are more applicable than my previous work experience. With the submission of my improved 'modern' resume I got an interview!!! =) I called a week later to learn a decision hasn't been made yet. Still waiting...
    flatlanderjenn

Comment by flatlanderjenn (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2010