Is it ok not wanting to work an office job n do waitressing instead?

for years i have been doing csr at call centers as well as office jobs, im now a sahm n want to work evening when hubby gets home, here where im at there are lots of call centers but im just tired of working that kind of job, u get cussed out at times, the supervisors dnt like taking sup calls i feel as if id rather be doing waitressing like i did in high school , its good money i can make enough , my sister is a sahm but her hubby has like 3 business so she can afford it, n my sil is a manager at USAA& is a college graduate, i have some college as well but never finished i guess i just dnt want to feel as if im moving back instead of moving forward compared to the women in my fam,, cont..

gabby06

Asked by gabby06 at 6:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• If it works for you - DO IT! Why be miserable if you don't need to be? If you've got the option, and you really think it will be what you want, you should do it. Not everyone wants to be stuck at a desk all the time. I'd much rather be working outside, no matter what the weather. I did, until arthritis made it extremely difficult for me.
    triciagene

Answer by triciagene at 6:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• waitressing can be great money but it can also be a huge waste of time if the restuarant in't busy. I was a waitress for years and I loved it- I say go for it!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If you like waitressing, then do it! It is so important to like what you are doing for work! Good Luck!
    KonaNannie

Answer by KonaNannie at 6:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Waitressing is good money and has flexible hours. It can be really fun. If you like it do it and dump that job that's making you unhappy.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I am strong believer in doing what make you happy. If working as a waitress make you happy than do. What you want to do you can do it if you put your mind to it.
    janitablue

Answer by janitablue at 6:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'm battling the same question. Hmm... $8/hour, 8 hour shifts (which = $64/day before taxes) or one four or five hour shift bringing in $80-$100? Hmmm... That's in my pocket, and I don't have to wait two weeks for a paycheck. Have an unexpected expense? Pick up a shift.

My issue is this - Where I live, the only way to make that kind of $$ waiting tables is by working nights - something I dont want to do. I want to be able to help my kids w/ homework, cook their dinner and tuck them in bed. My babysitter should NOT be raising my children, even though he lives here and that's how he "pays his rent".
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• do it! im not an office person at all! hate all the bullshit politics! cant be closed in same spot all day either!
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 6:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i think it's fine to take a waitsressing position over an office job - if you get a good house, you can make great tips - at the office, there is nothing such as a "great saturday night" - and you've had experience - so you wouldn't have to go in and start at the bottom - good luck in your new venture - i'm sure you'll have no problems in hitting the perfect position right away!!
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If you're happy with it, do it. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• As long as you are not swinging from poles why not.
    bergencounty

Answer by bergencounty at 7:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2010