Good enough reasons?

OK we are going to tell our OB that we have decided that a c section would be safer for me this time around and here is why (and yes there is a ?)= Previous vaginal birth was traumatic to mother and baby- Infants oxygen was restricted every time the mother pushed and bc of that the infant had bad breathing issues for first year- Mom had to be cut but due to the OB cutting the rectal muscle too thin, the recovery was longer than 8 weeks and constant pain and loss of bowel control- The previous birth nearly ended in an emergency c section after 2 hours of fetal distress, but was not done due to them using the forceps and vaccum. I am too concerned that this will happen again and that baby was 5 pds and 11 ounces and smaller than a preemie at full term. This baby is already bigger..
My question is, wouldn't these be great reasons for a c section? The cost out of pocket is $4650.00.... So we hope he signs off on it.

aquarianmom69

Asked by aquarianmom69 at 6:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i would do what you wish too do!!! i think if you think thats the way to go then do it!!! if it was that hard the first time then yes its a great enough of a reason.... good luck!!!
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 6:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We have to convince him to OK it on the insurance papers otherwise we have to pay the out of pocket expense, which my family would help on but we find out Wednesday if he will.... I am terrified of delivering this baby vaginally and more problems happening... I just want my son to be safely brought into this world... Hell my 2 year old still has issues at times with his breathing... We are dead set on the section but if we can convince the OB to clear it, then we don't have to pay that huge amount.
    aquarianmom69

Comment by aquarianmom69 (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• They are trying to decrease the number of c-sections and doctors aren't supposed to do them just because parents request it. There is no reason to believe any of these things would happen again. Actually your best bet would be to have your baby at home or at a birth center. If you could move around and squat during birth the things you mention may have been prevented.

If you decide on a hospital birth it would be much better to spend $500 on a doula. Choose a CNM if you can and try to find a hospital with tubs and that will let you move around. A C-section is major surgery and it takes 2 months to recover or longer.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I am already 37 weeks... This is the course we choose to go. The question was wouldn't those be good enough reasons to the OB to OK one for ins and even if he didn't then we would just pay out of pocket... My vaginal birth almost killed my son and he was tiny compared to this baby. It took me almost 3 months to recover from my vaginal birth. Everyone does heal different.
    aquarianmom69

Comment by aquarianmom69 (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If they're good enough for you, then they're good enough.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would have to agree with the first comment posted. You can sit and post question about anything on here and get opinions based on what others think but still it is up to you and what you are comfortable with. So if you feel that a c-section is the best thing for you and your baby then go for it. Im suprised since you had a previous c-section they didnt just schedule you for one with this baby. But I guess each doctor is different. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you are able to get the doctor to sign off on the baby work. It seems like it would just cause more of a headache for you and stress if he didnt, which in turn could cause problems.
    confusedgirl919

Answer by confusedgirl919 at 6:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The reasons don't sound good enough to me. You aren't supposed to be able demand a c-section and just pay out of pocket. Doctors aren't supposed to do that. If you have to have a vaginal birth I stronglly encourage you to hire a doula since you have such deep fears about birth. It's not that unusual to take 3 mo to recover from birth.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't blame you. Hell, I had a c section and I wouldn't mind one again simply bc it was so easy on both myself and my son, lol. I felt back to normal within 2 weeks. What you went through sounds awful. In the end, I think it should be your choice, given your past birth. Do what you feel is best. Best of luck, and if you hav any questions on c section, let me know! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yes, he has to respect what you want if not. Id seriously consider a new dr I had an awful labor to be an emergency c section had I not my baby would have died and I'm having a second for medically reasons I had a dr who wouldn't let me to 2 csections come to find out she was not qualified to do them (military dr)
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I go to a dif OB from the one who delievered my first born. This OB is amazing so I don't see him refusing to do my section. It's just the insurance thing but we just found out that no matter what we are going through with it. Thanks for your answers
    aquarianmom69

Comment by aquarianmom69 (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010