Why has my 21 month old daughter not gained an ounce in the last 6 months shes off the charts for both weight and height but she eats like a horse

CheyCheysMom

Asked by CheyCheysMom at 6:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My 21 month old is really small too, and she eats like crazy. Have you talked to the doctor about it? I know WIC just about had a heart attack and accused me of not feeding her because she's so little, but the doctor said she's healthy as a horse. (And trust me, she eats more than her 3yr old sister does! LOL) If the doctor doesn't see any problems, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. But he can also figure out if there's any need for concern.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If a child has a high metabolism she is not going to gain weight . consult your doctor other wise.
    Blue1212

Answer by Blue1212 at 7:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• What do you mean by off the charts, what percentile? How much does she weigh? Is she breastfed? Has she had a lot of infections?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• well her doc is really worried hes ordered a bunch of blood tests on her. see she was growin like a little weed then 6 months ago she just stopped shes no taller no heavier nothin and i've tried every trick in the book and nothin shes still only 20 pounds and 31 1/2 inches tall im scared to death to see what them test come back as
    CheyCheysMom

Comment by CheyCheysMom (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• shes in the 6% on her height and shes below every percentile on her weight. she was breast fed for the first 6 weeks then we went to the bottle. right now she has an ear infection but that wouldnt not explain 6 months of absolutely no growth
    CheyCheysMom

Comment by CheyCheysMom (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• FTT is a warning sign of a group of genetic diseases. Breastfed babies usually do ok until they are toddlers. Formula fed babies with these diseases start having problems much earlier with FTT, around 4-6 mo. Since she isn't breastfed, isn't having repeated infections, and didn't have problems until a toddler with FTT then she doesn't fit the pattern. Must be something else.

My grandson is 24 mo and he has been stuck at 22 pounds forever. He is still breastfed and that has kept him out of the hospital. He has the rare genetic disease. I hope your little girl is fine.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If her Dr isn't concerned, I wouldn't be.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My DD hit 20lbs at 18 months and stayed there until she was 3, she did start getting taller when she was 2 1/2 but not an ounce of weight gain. She was in the 5 percentile since she was 3 months old. Now she's 5 (almost 6) and while she's as tall as a normal 5 year old (she finally hit the 50 percentile) she is still only 26lbs! Her doctor was/is not concerend, while she eats.....constantly.....she is very active.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• good luck with the tests!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I hope the tests help figure things out!! It could be a malabsorption issue and something that can be managed once they figure it out.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2010