31 weeks!! Dialation, effacement and gestation??

Ok so some you the ladies that have answered my previous post know that as of 30 weeks I was 1 cm/80% effaced/-2 gestation. So my question is what if I become fully effaced. Will this cause me to lose my mucas plug or even have my water break sooner and put me at risk for infection? And once she is at complete gestation (as in head completely engaged) will this cause me to dialate more? I am on bed rest so we are taking it a day at a time. But even with the medicine they sent me home with to relax my cervix I am still having contractions. Just trying to educate myself on all this ladies. Thank you for being understanding with a first time mommy and answering my silly questions!!

confusedgirl919

Asked by confusedgirl919 at 6:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's not gestation, it's station. Gestation is actually the period of time in which a baby is carried in the body (example: for humans, 40 weeks is the normal gestation).

As the baby moves down in station, yes, you will become more effaced and dilated. You could possibly have your membranes rupture, but they also might not for a while. I was 80% and 4 cm at 0 and my water didn't break with my second, but with my first, my water broke when my cervix was only about 50% and I was only at about 2cm. It really is a toss up.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 6:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Oh ok.. LOL sorry.. see how much I know and how much I need you ladies.
    confusedgirl919

Comment by confusedgirl919 (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• why don't you google bishop's score. It will give you a lot of information on what you are asking. You are looking for the likelihood you will go into labor and that will tell you.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Your baby putting pressure on your cervix while engaging will cause you to dilate and efface further, so lay down and take it easy as much as you can, don't let gravity give your baby a helping hand lol. Losing your mucus plug can happen at any time and really isn't an indicator of labor. It will regenerate within 3 days if you lose it prematurely. If your water breaks before you go into labor you will be induced because of the risk of infection. To help keep contractions to a minimum, stay hydrated, keep your bladder empty (a full bladder can cause contractions), and stay relaxed. Good luck!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I was 60% 5 cm and -2 for over 5 weeks...My water never broke...the dr fianlly broke my water when I was in labor at 40 weeks I was fully effaced at that point...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010