How can I get grease spots off my carpet?

My husband walks around our home in his shoes and he carries grime and dirt.I wear my barefeet,which doesn't help either

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 6:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• 1. Scrape off excess grease.

2. Sprinkle baking soda, cornstarch, or other absorbent on the stain. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes, and then vacuum.

3. Using a clean white cloth, sponge the stain with a dry-cleaning solvent.

4. Blot until the solvent is absorbed.

5. If the stain remains, mix one tablespoon of liquid hand dishwashing detergent and one tablespoon of white vinegar with two cups of warm water. Sponge the stain with this solution. Blot until the liquid is absorbed.

6. Sponge with cold water and blot dry to remove the detergent/vinegar solution.

MTM

Answer by MTM at 7:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Alcohol.

My brother was a mechanic, living in his basement bedroom still at home... and wore his work shoes through the basement (concrete floors, so my parents didn't care) into his room. The about 4 feet into his bedroom, his blue carpet was absolutely black. Then a tragedy occured:

A friend dropped a WHOLE bottle of Kahlua on the concrete just outside his door, splashing it well into the room, and all over the place. After a suitable period of mourning, they swabbed up the sticky mess and paper towelled off the carpet as best as they could and went out to drink something in honor of the bottle's memory.

The next day, everywhere the booze hit the carpet was brand-new fresh blue carpet.

The cheapest vodka you can buy will avoid adding sugar, flavouring and other colors to the task... but it's amazing what it will lift. Just spray it until it's damp, and leave it to evaporate. It won't smell anymore in about 4 hours.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Use a degreaser, must be soluble, use a cloth an dab carpet until gone.
    Ginabella

Answer by Ginabella at 8:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Use mineral spirits (you can purchase at any home improvement store). It's a solvent which is what must be used to remove grease and oil based stains. Just use it sparingly and dampen the towel with it, don't pour it directly on the carpet or you may damage it. Put it on the towel and blot gently, using light agitation so you don't fray the carpet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You can try 1 ounce MelaMagic combined with 7 to 8 ounces of water -mix this in a spray bottle and apply to stains - this is a non-toxic product :)
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 7:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010