How do i displine without yelling?

My son had surgery for getting tubes put in his ears. Ever since hes had his tubes [9-15-08] hes been full of piss and vinegar! I don't know what to do anymore. I don't like to yell. Time outs don't work. Taking toys away don't work. Spanking doesn't work. My son just laughs. I fear that i have a rough road ahead of me!!

MoesMOmmi

Asked by MoesMOmmi at 4:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• what the heck does full of piss and vinegar mean?
    Anonymous

• ^^ was wondering the same.. must be some kind of slang. if thats the language you are using when you talk to your son then i wouldnt wonder if he laughs at you when you try to be serious about something.
    Anonymous

• Seriously you guys have never heard full of piss and vinegar? In this case it means hes not behaving and being a handful. To the OP find your kids favorite thing or activity and take it away. Last year went through a hard time with one of my girls tried everything nothing worked until I started the no dress rule. She loves wearing dresses hates wearing pants so if she gave me problems she had to wear pants the next day. I know seems silly. but it worked also maybe introduce a new reward for good behavior
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 5:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• he's being cranky and won't listen is my take.
    I have 4 kids and I have found the best way to get results is to validate their feelings and get to their level and talk, ask what they are feeling and tell them you understand. Then ask why did they do what they did or say what they did.
    When kids have their feelings validated you will be surprised at how well they behave. If after all that he's still "pissy" then tell him to go lay on your bed, yep your bed..it's no fun to be on mom's bed, lol, seriously thought when they are willing to stop whatever behavior then they can get up.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• How old is he? Both of my boys went threw a phase were they would do this. I started putting myself in "timeouts" this way I could take time to think before I delt with them. It also was a great example for them cause they say me doing this and starting doing it when they got upset.
    gavrilmom

Answer by gavrilmom at 5:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Besides the first two posts, I agree with the others. Yelling won't work, but taking away something that your son loves probably will. And be consistent. If he has a favorite toy, take it away and don't give it back until he starts making good choices. I tell my daughter that HER choices will determine whether she gets the doll (etc) back. Also, I like the taking timeouts for yourself. If you take away the attention that your son gains by making bad choices then perhaps he won't want to make them so often.
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Just stick with it I'm going through a "fun" time with my son now too. I'm hoping it will pass soon. My son has seen me go to my room to have a "settle down" when I'm at my limit with him. I try not to yell but it is so hard sometimes when everything is going wrong and then he acts up on top of everything else. ARGH!!!
    I try to remain calm as I can and keep myself from being in a situation where I'd yell at him.
    Good Luck!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I don't have advice. But I did want to mention that two of my kids have had the same surgery twice each- and holy cow! What a difference feeling good will do for a kid who's been feeling awful for such a long time! I have delt with your same problem, although maybe not that well enough to give any advice. (As soon as our one kid came home from the hospital that day, my husband and I said, at the same time, that he was full of piss and vinagar! LOL He was a totally different kid, I'll tell you that! It was like he had all these ideas of what he wanted to do, but always felt too sick to do them, and it all came out in one huge burst that we were not prepared for!)
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 9:59 AM on Oct. 17, 2008