Late night feeding... Am I doing anything wrong?

My son still wakes up in the middle of the night for a feeding... He is almost 8 months. How do I cut him of this? Is it normal? He eats 7-8 oz at bed time at 9-10 pm... He wakes up from 2-4 am for a feeding.... He eats agin when he wakes up at 8-9 am... He is on a really good schedule. Wakes up from 8-9 am, breakfast (baby food fruit & bottle), after noon nap, wake up, bottle (afternoon) and then dinner ( baby food veggies & water in sippy cup)... Am I doing anything wrong???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies use almost as many calories through the night (growing) as they do when they're awake and active. And, for the same reason you need to eat on Wednesdays, even when you ate on Monday AND Tuesday, babies need to eat throughout 24 hours to grow and be as healthy as possible.

You are not doing anything wrong.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We tried at the suggestion of our pediatrician slowing decreasing how much we gave her during the overnight feeding (normal 4-5 ozss, cut back to 3, then 2) as well as trying to feed her a little more frequently in the early evenings... That seemed to work for us and she has since moved away from overnight feedings (now 9 months)
    muptgirl23

Answer by muptgirl23 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It's normal for babies to breastfeed at night so it would seem normal for babies to want to formula feed. Baby food has a high water content. Babies can start regular food at 6 mo. He may not be getting much food. He can eat fork mashed foods like sweet potato, banana, and avacodo. You can give him thinly cut up beef and chicken or other meat (not hamburger hard to swallow) for iron. He can feed himself.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• at 8 months my son still woke up in the middle of the night but I was pregnant again and too exhausted to wake up or even hear him so thats when he learned to self soothe. I would suggest giving that a try. If it goes on for more than 15 minutes, then go in but at that point its just a habit, not so much that hes starving
    sparklebug86

Answer by sparklebug86 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son was STTN tilll 6:30-7am. Now the past month he has been getting up between 5-5:30am (and he won't go back to sleep). Now I am afraid he is going to start getting up even earlier!
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 7:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My daughter still had a bottle during the night up until 9-10 months. At that point I got the impression it was more of just a habit, and she wanted soothing more than she wanted the bottle. So I still got up and went to her around 2am when she cried, but didn't give her the bottle. She was fine without it. I just held her in the rocking chair for a few minutes till she settled down. She still got up quite often for that soothing during the night (she also got a lot of teeth during that period) up until about 13-14 months, and now (19 months) she sleeps through the night almost all the time.
    kimberlyann_214

Answer by kimberlyann_214 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son is 11 months old and still takes a bottle at night. It's the only one he takes all day and I think they still get really hungry after not having eaten in 10 hours!!! Aren't you>?? I know babies my son's age who sleep all night and yada yada but not every baby is the same!! BUT THEY ARE ALL NORMAL!! I do for my son what I need to to make him happy! I have a girlfriend who let her son scream all night for 7 nights in a row and then he slept all night from then on... I'm not a cry it out momma! But I believe your doing everything right! If you don't want him to wake up in the night you make have to let him cry....
    drews.mommy

Answer by drews.mommy at 10:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It sounds like you have him on a great schedule. My son was getting up at night around that age too. It should end soon GL
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I had the same problem with my son, great schedule, good eating habits. Just kept waking up sometime between 2:30 and 4, every night like clockwork. I started making the bottles smaller in the middle of the night feeding. He didn't need the food, it was just part of the schedule, then instead of immediately making him a bottle, I would just try to rock him to sleep and see if that would work. It's hard because you are tired and the easy thing to do is make a bottle and put him back to sleep! I eventually bumped his bedtime to 1/2 hour later and with all of that he started sleeping through the night, then I slowly moved his bedtime back! Good luck!
    nvywfemomof2

Answer by nvywfemomof2 at 2:36 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i had the same problem with my youngest. i started diluting his formula a little bit and making it a little cooler. it took a couple weeks and he eventually stopped waking up in the middle of the night.
    tcmaneen

Answer by tcmaneen at 4:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2010