What is the yellow gunk in my babies eye?

It's more than sleepys and it is really bothering us what it is. It is yellow and goopy and sometimes forms a web over his eye when he opens it. The doctor said it will go away but he is a month old and still hasn't. Anyone else have this problem?

ivlleeoax

Asked by ivlleeoax at 7:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Health

• Sounds like a clogged tear duct. Wipe with a warm wet cloth from the outer lower corner in to the center. Like the doc said it should clear up, but if it doesn't by a year they will go in and do a rotor roooter type thing and clean it out. All my kids had it and two of them it cleared up by 3 months and with the middle child it was still bad at 7 months and we got an ointment and it cleared right up.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with SleepingBeautee. It sounds like a blocked tear duct. My son had one, but the doctor showed us how to massage it, and it cleared up on it's own within a week of us doing it. I'd call the doctor and ask, though.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The little boy I take care of had the same thing. It cleared up on it's own by 5 months. I was told to wipe it with a wet cotton ball when he woke up from napping.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• From what I understand, it happens to most babies. A warm wet cloth should help clean it out. Good luck with baby.
    Danaefm

Answer by Danaefm at 10:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2010