Gagging......????

My son is 13 months old and has been putting all 4 fingers down his throat until he gags. He does it till he pukes. How do you teach him to not do that? I have been saying no very firm and also smacking his hand (which I hate doing) so wondered if any of you have any suggestions!!! Thank you~!

Mom2Brock

Asked by Mom2Brock at 7:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep him close and don't let him do it. Saying no and slapping him could put stress on him and make him do it more.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If he has a certain time when he does it or a routine that you can catch on too possibly put something not that appeasing in taste on his fingers.. so that he won't want to put them in his mouth? just a suggestion!
    PartiesbyGrace

Answer by PartiesbyGrace at 7:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My 3 yr old does it occasionally too. SO annoying. I stop him from doing it but try not to make a big deal out of it as this sometimes just makes it worse. You might also check with your doctor for advice on this.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• As hard as it is, it might be best to ignore his behavior. By saying 'No' and slapping his hand, you are giving him attention and may accientally reiinforce the behavior.
    newmommy0409

Answer by newmommy0409 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• When he does this, redirect him to something else. It sounds like he may do it to get your attention/get a rise out of you. What are you doing when he does this? Probably the less of a big deal you make of it, the more likely he will get bored with doing it and move onto the next thing.
    HeatheranninSP

Answer by HeatheranninSP at 9:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Glad to hear I'm not the only one! My 12-month old does this too, although not to the point of actually puking. Just gags. Seems like he does it for attention -- if I am in another room, or making dinner, etc. and not giving him attention. I just pull his fingers out of his mouth and try to get him occupied w/ something else, or give him some attention (if possible at the time). Not sure what else to do, either.
    LogansMom855

Answer by LogansMom855 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 14, 2010