cell phone age

how old was your child when they got their first cell phone, How did you handle it?

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 7:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• i got my kids cell phones when they started high school and made then conditional of their grades. worked great for them
    juneinnovember

Answer by juneinnovember at 8:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My kids were 13... All three received one on their birthday...
    MzGeorgiaPeach

Answer by MzGeorgiaPeach at 7:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I gave my oldest one when he turned 12. I didn't plan to initially, but his school is miles from home. The staff leaves quickly and the office is locked. There are NO payphones nearby. And he had missed the bus several times and had to borrow someone's phone to call me at work to come get him.

I felt it was a safety issue, so I bought an inexpensive pay-as-you-go phone, with the understanding that he could get a nicer, newer phone if he proved responsible with that one.

It's been 6 months and I've only had to add minutes to it once (and he let me know 45 days in advance when he still had 30 minutes left - which is pretty responsible, IMHO.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• None of us have cellphones. My kids are 5, 16 & 17. They are nothing but a luxury we cannot afford. My home phone only rings... can you believe it... LOL! $12 a month, can't beat that.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son was 18 when he got his first cell phone (that was 5 years ago.) Now, they have the ones that can only dial mom, dad, police, etc. I'd probably consider one like that around 10 or 12.
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 8:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• So far the average is 14½ as they are in HS and heading off with friends that drive - starting to date - going off on school trips - etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Mines will be 16 before I get her one. It will come with a personal contract composed by me.lol
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:19 AM on Sep. 14, 2010