How much food should I send my 4 year old son to school with?

He gets on the bus at 8:15 am, and gets off at 3:55 pm.

JoyXtwo

Asked by JoyXtwo at 7:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A sandwich, 3-4 snacks, bottle of water
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• so, would you count a yogurt and a piece of fruit one snack or two?
    JoyXtwo

Comment by JoyXtwo (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Depends on how long they go for
    mamahol

Answer by mamahol at 7:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• A PB & J sandwich, juice box or water, (w/ flavor packet) some fruit, & granola bar should do it. That's filling enough & they usually only get 1/2 hour to eat lunch. Just be ready to have a snack for him when he gets home :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would consider each item one snack. I know for K at my dcs' school they have a snack time as well as lunch time, as well as recess, so if they want a snack then they can. SO, i'd pack him his main lunch(sandwich,fruit, drink) and a couple other things incase they have a snack time( yogurt, crackers) so 4-5 itmes total.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• What is his schedule like? Does the teacher provide time for 2 snacks, plus lunch or only 1 snack time?

My kids have 1 snack time plus lunch.
    I pack a lunch (Drink, sandwich, dry snack (cheezits, goldfish, etc) and some fruit. They never eat it all (mainly due to time), but it's there if they want it.
    I pack the snack separately - which is usually just food. The teacher lets them get cups of water.
    If your teacher allows you to provide another drink - then pack another juice box, plus a dry snack.

For a 4 year old - make sure everything is easy to open and something they can't make too much of a mess with.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 9:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• This may sound easy, but I always laid out the healthy choices and prepared them ahead in baggies. My child would come in and put everything in his own lunch bag and if he forgot something important like a drink (I added it). Also, I ask what the other kids ate and was there anything special he wanted on Fridays. Friday was Favorite Day! If he ate healthy all week, we added something really special on this day. His favorite was angel food cake, strawberries,and cool whip. He got really good at telling me what he wanted and usually what he put in was gone when he came home. I did this from age three up (preschool) and still do it today. Best Advice I can give you is get your child involved. This is the beginning of independence and learning to make healthy decisions and choices.
    JOCKEYP2PMOM

Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 9:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• A sandwich, fruit, veggies, yogurt, pretzels, and some trail mix?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• A sandwich, and 3-4 snacks. That sounds good. Also a drink. Be sure to put napkins in there. GL.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2010