I am trying to calm my son cough what home remedy can I do?

spence25

Asked by spence25 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i would use an otc cold syrup, just keep in mind that it wont stop the cold just help with the symptoms. i rarely take my son to the dr unless he just doesn't seem to get better after a week.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Is he full of mucus too? Steam up the bathroom and sit in it. It will help open the airways and break up the mucus. Also, tea or hot coco if he doesn't have an upset tummy. And google cough and see what comes up.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 8:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Okay thanks...
    spence25

Comment by spence25 (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• vicks rub on the back .. and have you tried honey .. i heard it works but not sure ...
    tweetyfan

Answer by tweetyfan at 8:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• honey works great. dont use otc meds if he is taking prescriptions. echinicia tea is good tasting and works!
    juneinnovember

Answer by juneinnovember at 8:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I tried honey and lemon it didn't help at all..I have been rubbing him down with Vicks..I don't want to give him too much meds..He is already on four different kinds for his asthma/bronchitis..
    spence25

Comment by spence25 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• There are alot of things you can do to help him.. If he is 3 and older, a 1/4 cup of honey, 1/4 cup sugar and one squeezed lemon, mixed well, give him a couple of teaspoons of the mix... The honey helps sooth the throat, the acid in the lemons help clear up the mucus..... Applying vicks vapor rub to his chest will also help....or letting him sip on some peppermint tea...or sucking on peppermint sticks..
    MzGeorgiaPeach

Answer by MzGeorgiaPeach at 8:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• the bronchitis is whats making him cough, there is not much to help with the cough , how often where you giving him the honey and lemon...
    MzGeorgiaPeach

Answer by MzGeorgiaPeach at 8:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Okay I am giving him some peppermint tea and do you think I should give him Mucinex DM? I really do need to get some rest tonight I have work tomorrow..He will be with my mom no school since he is coughing alot..Tough being a single mom..
    spence25

Comment by spence25 (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• honey and lemon. a small amount of honey with a tablespoon or so of lemon. I gave the children about a half teaspoon to a teaspoon.

Answer by Bmat at 8:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010