My baby is FAT!

I love Chunky babies I think it makes them really cute, but my child is only 13 months and she wears 24 month clothes and shes just really chunky. I thought she would slim down a lot when she started walking, which she has been walking since she was 10 1/2 months. And honestly she hasnt really slimmed down a whole lot. I am worried about her having a weight problem in the future. The doctor say she is growing just fine, shes a little on the short side but I am only 4"11 so its nothing to be concerned about. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to make sure she isnt too big later on in life? I feed her really good foods and she doesnt eat too much so its not from what I am feeding her.

Jessaroo1987

Asked by Jessaroo1987 at 8:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take comfort if your ped is not concerned. Provided you are feeding her appropriately and she is active, she should be fine. If she continues to be on the higher side of her weight as she continues to get older, your ped should provide you some guidance at that point. Until she gets to be 2-3 yrs old, it is more a matter of being healthy and growing properly.

If you are still very concerned, closely look at what she consumes. Does she drink a lot of juice? While it might seem healthy, fruit is a better altrenative. If she insists on juice, water it down. Does she drink whole milk? If so, but down to 2% (our ped indicated this has an adequate amount of fat for children over the age of 1). Try for more vegetables and less goldfish (yep, eaiser said than done).
    newmommy0409

Answer by newmommy0409 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Also when she was on formula she had the enfamil AR (added rice) because she spit up all the time so I am thinking that being on the rice the first year of her life has something to do with it. I am really short and average weight, not really skinny but not fat...and her dad is on the bigger side, he is tall and large. Shes def. taking after me with her height.
    Jessaroo1987

Comment by Jessaroo1987 (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• my son is 19 months and he wears 2t-3t hes not fat just bigger my 4 yr old was big when he was lil too but he slimed out took him a while but he did
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• As long as she's getting around fine, she's eating a healthy diet, and her doctor isn't worried...I wouldn't be wither. I have a friend whose son is 12 months and is in 24 months, and his doctor says he is healthy too. Always trust your instincts though, and if you're truly worried, readdress it with the doctor.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i wouldn't be measuring growth based on what size clothes she wears. when you go to the dr. and they take her measurements, ask what percentile she is in for height and weight. if they are pretty close then there is nothing to worry about. if she is in the 50th percentile for height and off the charts for weight, then i would be concerned. all you need to do is encourage exercise and feed her healthy foods (no juice if she is having a weight problem though). i'm sure she'll be fine. drs. will tell you in a heartbeat if your kid is too fat lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If she is fat it's from what you are feeding her. Too much healthy food can make a baby fat. She only needs to drink water, no milk or juice. If she has juice the AAP recommends a max of 4 oz from an open cup no bottles or sippy. Do some more research to make sure what's healthy and about size of servings.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If it isn't from what you are feeding her then she is most likely fine. When the pedi see's her, weighs her and measures her... where does she lie on the chart? Is she between 25-75%? Above? Below?

I would say if they aren't worrying about it then you shouldn't either. :) Trust me... she will have growth spurts out the ying yang and she will outgrow much of that baby chunkyness. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• do not worry about a weight problem in a toddler! if you are feeding her healthy stuff, lots of fruits and veggies, low on the starches and avoid junk food then baby girl should be getting her nutrition just fine. also, if she tolerates it, whole milk to drink and water. remember that most juice is just sugar water. the most important thing you can do to ensure healthy eating later in life is to encourage a love of fruits and vegetables now.

lots of green, lots of color... and although corn and peas are technically lumped in with veggies, they are pure caloric starch with very few benefits. green beens, broccoli, carrots, apples, etc... are much better
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 8:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I disagree with the person talking about the measurements because she is ussually in about the 45th percent for her height and the 90s for her weight, but again they are not concerned because I am a very short person, Im, not even 5 feet tall. And its not like she is abnormally huge or anything I am more concerned about the future, shes a little on the chunky side but I think its baby chunk....im just hoping the more she runs around the more it will melt off. shes a very very normal active happy toddler.
    Jessaroo1987

Comment by Jessaroo1987 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Don't worry about her weight, you'll only give her issues that a child shouldn't have to deal with. My son had 3 chins and is now too skinny for skinny jeans.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010