What do you think about troops who feel Obama's "combat is over" declaration was a 'slap in the face'? Can you understand where they are coming from?

(Reuters) - U.S. Staff Sergeant Kendrick Manuel swung his rifle over his shoulder and grumbled about being viewed as a "non-combat" soldier in Iraq.

"When NBC talked about the last combat troops are gone, they made it sound like everything is basically over," he said, after escorting a 19-truck convoy through a part of northern Iraq where roadside bombs and mortar attacks are still a danger.

"To us it was like a slap in the face, because we are still here ... we are still going in harm's way every time we leave out of the gate," Manuel said at a U.S. military base, Camp Speicher, near Saddam Hussein's home town of Tikrit.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 8:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The hype around the change of mission, which allowed President Barack Obama to say he was fulfilling a pledge to start ending the unpopular war, set off complaints among some soldiers left behind who were no longer viewed as combat troops.

Read the rest of the article

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• – collapse
    Common sense is common sense. You can not fully walk away but you can halt compat missions. Our troops know what they signed up for. No sense in whining about the job, you're compensated and no one slapped you in the face. Except maybe Bush who insisted there were WOMD and we invaded a country for no reason.... Those complaining are just feeding the Obama hate frenzy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Meh, not really. Ending the combat doesn't mean it is not dangerous. I think everyone knows that there is still a huge presence. Its just that the combat part of the mission has to end sometime.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The war wasnt OVER just because Bush said it was and the combat is not over just because Obama said it was. if ANYTHING he has probably left our troops MORE vulnerable because now the enemy knows we arentat full strength and the ones that are there have their hands tied by non combat rules of engagement! I think he should have pulled them ALL out or left it a combat zone so the ones that are STILL IN HARMS WAY could continue to receive combat pay and benefits...but wth Obama got his shiny I-ended-the-fighting star so everyone can move on I guess....

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• No more a slap in the face than Bush's declaration of end of combat was.. and that one was how many years ago?? 6 or 7 years now?? Mission Accomplished??

Both lacked honesty, and true image of what was, has and is going on. I can't think of a reason why I would view one as more of a slap in the face than the other.. Both have their own level of wretched.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 8:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yes, of course.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think the troops are smart enough to know that the current Commander in Chief never supported them in the first place.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• think the troops are smart enough to know that the current Commander in Chief never supported them in the first place.

Thats stupid. Wha has he done to make you feel that way? Send them over there ill equipt, nope that was his predacessor. Say MISSION ACCOMPLISHED like a SECOND in,.,.nop again...please...that is just a DUMB SMEAR LINE

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• IMO~ They are already at a disadvantage in the Middle East because of the Rules of Engagement, and an enemy who know how and with glee use the RoE against our troop... Add to this~ the current sentiment some of our troop are feeling~ IMO they don't need to be made more vulnerable nor do they need to feel a slap in the face' or 'out of combat, out of mind of this administration'... Any sentiment they are feeling, should be addressed. Especially when they talk/voiced their concerns with the likes of Reuters...
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'm sure people who work for the military know the drill.

I know when the CEO of my Co puts an editorial in the paper, the picture he paints is generally much different from what actually happens within our facility. Further, I can unequivocally state that I doubt my Co CEO knows what I do on a daily basis-he understands how to run a hospital but the day to day details and responsibilities are shouldered by others.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010