I have a new born my 3 year old feels left out.

He came up to me the other day and said mama love me while I was holding his brother I try to spend as much time as I can with him how can I showhim he is not loved any less than I love my new born? It broke my heart I told him I do love you baby.

jessesmama22

Asked by jessesmama22 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son had the same problem. If I were you I would let him help out more with the baby and have him be a part of everything as much as possible. For a diaper change, let him get the diaper for you, or hand you the wipes. If the baby is crying let him attempt to give the baby the binky. Just get him envolved so he feels as though hes just as important as the new little one. it takes them time but you have to get them envolved as much as possible, if not they feel as though the baby is a threat.
    AngelEyva

Answer by AngelEyva at 8:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• when i had a new baby i always made the older ones my special helpers. let them get me diapers/wipes. throw the old one away. pick out the outfits. pet the babys hair to make them fall asleep. turn on the music for the baby, get me the burp rag, etc. it was really helpful to me because they were being useful, and it really made them feel important and involved. they would also sing to her lol...... usually that was not so welcome because half of the time they woke her up!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• This is normal I haven't even had my baby yet and my 3 yr old is worried about me leaving to have the baby when the baby naps have a set thing just you two do together read or start an art box try to let him get involved when u are busy like get u diapers and help in small ways hell be okay its gng to be a transition for him but its natural and hell be fine :)
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• You are probably more worried about it than he is. Just say things like you have enough love for him and the baby. Don't compare or even say as much as. You don't want to ever start comparing.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think hes gonna feel this way awhile. My brothers went thur this. Continue to tell him you love him and explain how the baby cant do things for himself and you have to help the baby just like you helped him when he was a baby. Try to let him help you with things like pass you the diaper or putting lotion on the baby. Get him more involved in caring and playing with his brother then you guys will be working together and he wont feel so left out. Place him on the sofa and let him hold the baby(you know with you really holding him tho) and tell him bout how his lil brother is developing.It will get better the older he gets then you can look forward to their fights.lol Hang in there.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:16 AM on Sep. 14, 2010