Exchanging gifts

Have you ever exchanged a gift that your child got for something else? My son turned two yesterday and there are three toys that are particularly obnoxious that I'm going to exchange for something quieter...told my ex and he made me feel like crap, because "i'm not thinking of anyone else's feelings" (the people who gave him the gifts). Should I feel guilty about this?

gypsymama532

Asked by gypsymama532 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm sure the people who bought the gifts would be happier knowing your son got something he'll actually use. Go ahead and exchange them!
    StarGirlD

Answer by StarGirlD at 8:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• no.... it's better than hiding them or taking out the batteries imo
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• How will they know? If they come over just say, "Oh it's in his toy box! He plays with it all the time!"
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Don't feel guilty about this... If it is to obnoxious, exchange it.. or take the batteries out of it
    MzGeorgiaPeach

Answer by MzGeorgiaPeach at 8:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• First off, your ex probably said that JUST to get a reaction. I would rather know that the gift was either used, or exchanged for something they could use. But then again I am the annoying person that calls and asks what you would like your child to have or not too. Go ahead and exchange!!
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 8:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• At our house the alternative is so let the toy drive mom absolutely crazy and then it mysteriously ends up at goodwill or in the dumpster or buried in the backyard (please don't judge me, the hole was already there and it made perfect sense at the time). Anyway, the point is that if you take it back and get something you and your child both enjoy then every one's happy. If your ex isn't, oh well. I'm guessing since he's your ex his ultimate happiness is not the main goal in your life. Or better yet, offer to let him take the horrible toys to his house for when your little one visits. Then not only are they gone from your house, they are driving him bonkers! LOL

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I've exchanged gifts. That's why I LIKE to get receipts, and that's why I GIVE receipts with EVERY gift.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• LOL we JUST did the same thing with some of our sons 2 year old b-day gifts except we exchanged them for things he'd like better (i.e. we took the three gifts to walmart got one large store credit and bought him a large train set, he's ga ga for trains) i think most people just want your kid to enjoy the gift no matter what shape or form it come sin tell your ex to get bent
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 11:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Nope. I have done it numerous times.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:10 AM on Sep. 14, 2010