Toddler average weight

My 14 month old is 22 lbs. He has not gained any weight since June. Is there anything I need to worry about. He is a picky eater and he eats small meals.

melody1881

Asked by melody1881 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds normal to me. My 9 month old is 20 lbs, and my 2.5 year old is 32 lbs.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• give him the meal replacement drinks like Pediasure in addition to his regular meals

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• all toddlers eat small meals and is picky! lol...il be glad when mine grows outive it. hes 2.5 yo...an he is too picky for me! he loves carbs tho. lol.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son actually lost 3 lbs between 15 and 18 months. I was surprised but the pediatrician told me that was what was suppose to happen. You should really look at both height and weight and the percentiles for each.Unless your dr expresses concern, I wouldn't worry about it.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son was always on the low end of the percentile and at the age of 7 he is still is, he is very high though for his height, I asked the DR when he was little that I was concerned that he was so thin, and the DR told me that she would much rather see a lean kid than an overweight child. You also have to take into consideration what your metabolism was like when you were growing up, when I graduated from High-school I weight 98 pnds and was a size 0, his father was an athlete and we both have fast metabolisms. I wouldn't worry about it as long as they are still hitting their milestones at the recommended ages. =)
    mochomo

Answer by mochomo at 9:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think for 14 months, 22lbs sounds normal. My 2yr old is 27 lbs and is an extremely picky eater, so I know how you're feeling. Like another person suggested, give him a supplement drink if you think he isn't getting enough nutrients. I give my 2yr old supplement drinks- she eats no veggies and hardly any fruits. She will eat applesauce, though. It is frustrating, but hang in there. Always try to offer new things when you can, even if he refuses it. Someday, he may not.
    HeatheranninSP

Answer by HeatheranninSP at 9:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My 22 month old is 25 lbs. He's in the 75% for height and between the 10-25% for weight. But when you look at him, he looks very proportional. I see no reason to "fatten him up" and knowing he's built the same way as his three older siblings, the pediatrician thinks he's doing fine.

Answer by missanc at 9:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• That sounds like about exactly the same weight my daughter was at that age. She's always been a little on the petite side, but as the woman above this answered, better lean than overweight anyday....
    Mandi H.

Answer by Mandi H. at 9:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son was 21lbs at 12 months, he is 4 now and weighs 38lbs. Sounds normal.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• At 14 months my son was barely 19lbs and now at 27 months he is 29lbs. As long as their height to weight ratio is in a normal range I wouldn't really worry. :)
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 12:02 AM on Sep. 14, 2010