Where can I find the laws for my town ...?

Is there certain laws for a town ?

Yesterday my friend got a paper saying she has to go to court and pay a fine because of her yard and where it is written what is wrong with it is says ( bikes on front lawn) . Her house is actually very nice and I KNOW that they take good care of it.

Now the street she lives on is one of the worst streets and 2 houses down there are cars with weeds growing out of them sitting out front. We live in a small town and half of it is owned by a slumlord... My friend thinks that the mayor purposly did this because they do not like each other ( friends daughter beat mayors neice in last years pageant, and the mayor called foul play and shut the whole festival down)

But anyways I was wondering if there is a website where you can find out the laws for our county, or town ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• if she got a ticket for it, it's likely a law. There are tons of stupid laws on the books.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Look up City Ordinances. For example like this one. GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• while they're at the courthouse paying the fine, they could ask for a list of the codes/offenses and then talk to the code enforcement person about their neighbor's yards (i would do that anonymously on the phone though!)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Call city hall, ask for Code Enforcement - those are the people that write that kind of ticket. The laws should be on your city's website, probably under a city ordinance section or a city code section.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Call your police dept. I can see that being a homeowners no no but bikes on the lawn, illegal? Maybe but just not enforced?
    I'd call the cops and city hall.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If you go to the town clerk they have to show you the law or ordnance.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010